Feeling that your different from others

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheRealMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2011, 9:44 pm

Ever since I was young I've had a self-awareness that I was different or unique or specialfrom other people my age. I'm talking about things like being the smartest kid in class or having more advanced interests, I never ever felt like I fit in or was accepted. I couldn't give a damn about popular culture. I could tell that my thought process was a bit different.

Now that I'm older, I can recognize and accept being myself. Now I choose to be a bit strange. I was wondering if anyone else had a feeling of being different?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 10:01 pm

I think most of us here are that way. Join the club.

RAINCLOUD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2011, 10:33 pm

I am very different from everyone. I don't like groups,trends,and I also hate popular culture. I take advanced classes at school and there are kids who are as smart as me but, no one like me. I listen to odd underground bands and I read about peculiar things. Masses are asses!

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 4:20 am

ALL my life. Growing up I had friends but no girl friends. The guy friends I had were probably because I was cute and some because we could talk about other things beside make up and clothes.

Now, I feel completely different. It never seems to go away.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 5:41 am

I couldn't have put it better myself, TheRealMe.
Good for you for being yourself :)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 12:16 pm

I knew I was different pretty much from the get-go since I was around other children rather early. It really hit me once I started school, though.

It's hard not to notice when everyone around you plays differently and doesn't have meltdowns over the feel of un-finished wood or rubber balls.

Guilliman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2011, 12:22 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
over the feel of un-finished wood or rubber balls.

:lol: :lol: I'm such a child sometimes :lol: :lol: I'm sorry 8)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 12:32 pm

:lmao:

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 12:40 pm

I believe everyone here feels that way. Personally, I like being different. My only problem is that I wish I could act like a "normal" person more often: adaptability is a very important skill for survival.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 1:24 pm

I had never felt even a little ordinary until I escaped West Texas and met some other geniuses, but it passed. The second time happened when I found this site. I have enjoyed the feeling for its novelty, but I don't expect it to last.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 9:28 pm

I have issues with the "feeling" and "a bit" part of that. It's more than a bit and it's nothing to do with how I feel; I've always known that I was different.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 9:21 am

lol. No, I never felt it. Actually I was totally surprised when my mom told me I had autism at age 21. And now, thinking about it, I can't believe how dense I was. I mean, I even went to private school. More than half my classmates were autistic. I guess I just thought I got sent there because I was a brat or something. I guess I didn't think about other kids enough to get into thoughts about being different or similar to them.

arko5
Raven
Raven

23 May 2011, 12:29 pm

I've always felt a bit different (square peg, round hole kind of thing). I'm at university at the moment and I've found it really does amplify the feeling. When your alone you can almost forget that you don't quite fit in, but when surrounded by other people doing naturally what you can't, it hammers the point home. I've come to the conclusion that it would be a curse not to be different. I think you'd be a pretty empty person if you just got swept up with the crowd all the time, following others in some charade of normality. I'll take my deficits, if I can keep my strengths (it's easy to forget Aspergers can have upsides too), although it does make life a little harder sometimes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:03 pm

I feel that I'm different from other people, but it't a good kind of different. I'm also not afraid to be different. :)

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:25 pm

What CockneyRebel said. :D It was never always that way though. It has only been recently that I have began to love myself. Surroundin myself with other weird people always helps :)

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 10:19 pm

I don't really feel like I'm different that much anymore. I have accomplished that, however, by surrounding myself with certain types of people (primarily people on the spectrum). However, when you don't feel different anymore, it's very easy to become more and more sensitive to differences between you and the other people and, in a pursuit to be around people who are more like you, to shut more and more people out of your life. I try very hard not to do that right now.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.