Do you pull faces, talk and stand funny?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2009, 10:17 am

I'm nearly 40 and an IQ over 150. Thought that life wasn't going as smoothly as it could have, but it was only recently that it was pointed out to me that I pull extreme faces, stand funny(very flexible limbs that apparently lock oddly when at rest) and sometimes, go high pitched and people don't understand me. It's really upsetting, as they're such elementary things, and apparently I can't even manage to talk properly, despite having a decent vocabulary.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 10:51 am

I have an odd voice and body posture..I seem to struggle with where my body is in relation to the things around me...something to do with sensory integration..I dunnow...I seem to both go up on my tip-toes and then stoop...often both at the same time..and I have a childlike voice....it goes up and I sound like a young girl...it goes down, I sound like a young boy.

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2009, 12:58 pm

I have a "Squeeky" high voice. I cross my legs this weird way when I stand and I hunch a lot. When I sleep, I curl up and my wrists lock into this strange fetal position that makes my hands flop. I'm always so awkward around people...they look at me weird, because of the way I sit or stand...it's really a bummer...It makes me really paranoid, but the way normals stand and sit is uncomfortable to me! My friend Evan once said "Standing back and watching you from across a room, is like watching a cartoon or TV show!" I took it as a compliment, but it was a keen observation that f***s with my head sometimes. :?

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2009, 1:00 pm

Wow! Lungstuffings! You just described me to a T :lol:

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 3:55 pm

No.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 11:28 am

Yes, I've been told I'm either very exaggerated or laking appropriate emotion entirely. Apparently, if I'm happy my body language will indicate that I'm Ecstatic, if sad - despairing, scared - terrified, etc.. However, If someone asks me to smile, in a picture for example, I'll grimace at best. And I'm often told I look angry, mad, stone-faced, and that my demeanour needs to be more pleasant. The odd thing is people usually tell me this when I'm feeling most comfortable.

Walking funny, having to look where i walk, touching my face, twitching, involuntary visceral responses, talking too loud, talking too low, talking under my breath, no talking at all when conversation is expected, stimming, laughing, smiling "like an idiot", crying at inopportune times apparently for no good reason... yeah I never noticed it all until people started pointing it out to me. They're right, it's kind of strange and being conscious of it makes it all a conscious effort which just adds another thing to think about.

Hanging out with like people is a sigh of relief. Not only is self-consciousness reduced but noticing similar behaviour in others seems to minimize my own.

Pernicious-Knid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2009, 4:33 pm

Yes, on occassion, but it seems to have been much more pronounced when I was younger, along with a predisposition for staring (went hand-in-hand with spacing out). If I'm really engaged with doing something or talking with someone, it doesn't seem to happen at all anymore. But if I'm feeling less connected shall we say, on those bad days, then it can happen at random.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 5:28 pm

Pernicious-Knid wrote:
Yes, on occassion, but it seems to have been much more pronounced when I was younger, along with a predisposition for staring (went hand-in-hand with spacing out). If I'm really engaged with doing something or talking with someone, it doesn't seem to happen at all anymore. But if I'm feeling less connected shall we say, on those bad days, then it can happen at random.

Staring and Spacing, Always fun in social situations :roll:

A good way to disperse them though.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2009, 5:59 pm

:lol:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 6:56 pm

Not that I know of.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2009, 8:29 pm

I stare and space out a lot, too.

I was wondering, does anyone else find themselves grinning when someone puts them on the spot? I always do this when my Mum accuses me of something. And I never know why.. It's entirely inappropriate, and it doesn't even reflect how I'm feeling.

fleurnubienne
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2009, 8:31 pm

Not exactly, but at my old job I have gotten in trouble with the ergonomics lady, who would often tell me that my posture was "too good" and that i looked like i needed to relax into my seat a bit more.

I space out at times and am not very good with eye contact.

Sometimes my emotions are not always apparent. I often giggle when i'm very angry (nervous laughter, i guess) and talk like a "robot" when i'm sad, even if my eyes are crying. Makes it difficult for others to take my emotions seriously.

ticktockpop

30 Dec 2009, 4:48 am

fleurnubienne wrote:

I space out at times and am not very good with eye contact.

Sometimes my emotions are not always apparent. I often giggle when i'm very angry (nervous laughter, i guess) and talk like a "robot" when i'm sad, even if my eyes are crying. Makes it difficult for others to take my emotions seriously.

I thought I was the only one with the jumbled emotion reaction. It's nice to know other people have this too.

I also space out and go almost into a trance if seen from the outside... when in the inside my mind is racing into some subject I like, or about some situation that I could have handled better.

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2009, 8:23 am

I make funny facial expressions.
But I'm like a font. Like how you can still read a font, no matter what font it is, unless it's an abstract font, and then how each font has it's own format and style.
And so I change "fonts" when I am around certain people and if I am at home or in public.
Like around best friends I am more carefree and I slouch and I am loud and I swear and I laugh a lot and I walk happily.
Around friends at school I am quiet, I walk depressingly or straight up depending on my mood, and I rarely swear, and I laugh quietly. Since I am not comfortable around new friends.
At home I am carefree but I am quiet.

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2009, 8:25 am

I make funny facial expressions.
But I'm like a font. Like how you can still read a font, no matter what font it is, unless it's an abstract font, and then how each font has it's own format and style.
And so I change "fonts" when I am around certain people and if I am at home or in public.
Like around best friends I am more carefree and I slouch and I am loud and I swear and I laugh a lot and I walk happily.
Around friends at school I am quiet, I walk depressingly or straight up depending on my mood, and I rarely swear, and I laugh quietly. Since I am not comfortable around new friends.
At home I am carefree but I am quiet

Sometimes at school I will often blank out or daydream and stare at nothing in particular, like the ceiling or floor or sometimes even another person if am really blank.
And at home when Im alone I think/whisper to myself, lol

MJackson
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2009, 8:44 pm

I'm often told that I look high and people ask me do I smoke weed. Also I get in trouble a lot in certain classes for putting too much emotion or being dull.