What comparisons would you use to help a NT understand AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

gtw1983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

For me when it comes to social interaction I would liken it firstly to a newer cars automatic driving,against an older manual.
The first just operates naturally without user input.While a conscious effort is required for the latter otherwise there will be serious issues.

Or I might compare it to a modern computer design program that fills in the code for you as you create.Rather than carefully having to methodically type in the code yourself as you go along.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

A TVshow used cars vs trains. Cars are like NTs who can steer side to side on the road while an aspie has to stay on the track and cant steer without a switchman steering the track itsself.

Thought that was a good analogy.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

When you use the machine comparisons. Theres still some skeptism. For social knowledge, NT use their intuition to subconsciously navigate the social realm. Aspies typically need to get taught these step by step, machine like rules for social interaction. Even when as aspie has carefully nailed majority of the social "rules", there are still problems because we still lack the intuitive functioning to process social information. We end up using our intellect to process social information whereas NTs are probably using a different part of their brain. Humans are not machines in the end. What works for one person is not always gonna work for another person even if the person is of a very similar demographic to that other person.

I havent come up with any good analogies in which NTs would easily understand.

One I thought of is, Aspergers is inability in being able to communicate in the same way as elderly people cant walk very well without a cane. We can communicate a little, just not very well and we often need social supports. Elderly people can walk technically, they have a lot of trouble and need supports.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 6:56 pm

Like trying to interact with someone who speaks a foreign language.