Does anyone have trouble recognizing faces?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

dwoolridge
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2011, 12:38 am

I do not have problmes reconize faceses but there are times that some people know me and find out how i know theem when they tell me how did i know them from

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 1:08 am

gee that would be me
i lack all graces regarding recognition of faces
so alone i remain, accepted by no one
at this time i can't think of a further rhyme.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 1:40 am

No, but I did a test online for it and it said I did, but it also said that if you score low on it, it means that you MAY have faceblindness and isn't a diagnosis.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 7:16 am

YES!

Took me 2 years to finally memorize the neighbor chick's face for good.

But maybe cause I was too focused on her tits.

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 9:38 am

Mhmm, I tend to check facebook to make sure I know what they look like every so often, especially if it's around the time of school holidays.

My parents are separated, and I see my father every other week, but I've managed not to recognise him before. :? As for people I see around my school... it always surprises me how many 'strangers' know me. I'd be completely confused if we didn't have uniform, too.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 10:20 am

Yes. Mostly because I refuse to wear my glasses. :roll:

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 10:30 am

Actually yes, I usually recognize people from the context they are in (setting) and by the clothes they wear. I have been confused in the past when I didn't recognize a co-worker because he was in the store and not at work. He was also wearing casual (not work) clothes. He kept saying hi to me and wondered why I did not recognize him.

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2011, 3:39 pm

I have a horrible time with faces. I can usually recognize people I spend a fair amount of time with via their clothing, body type, gate/general stance, ect. But if you put two people who I didn't know extremely well (and that's everyone out there but maybe 10 people) with the same clothing/body type/stance next to one another I couldn't tell the difference.

It's frustrating, but I do cope. Most people who are close to me know without me ever telling them that I can't recognize people. They think it's rather funny and tbh, it hasn't caused any huge issues so far. I likely have Face Blindess (though I've only read a little about it), but I can't see how getting an actual diagnosis would benefit me so I'll just leave well enough alone ^_^

gokitefly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2011, 12:13 pm

Yes, just like jackbus01, I sometimes have trouble recognizing people out-of-context. I worry that it makes me seem unfriendly. I also hate it in movies when they do things like cast two blonde actresses in major roles. It makes it hard to follow the plot.

Also, being from a large Mexican family, it's especially hard to keep track of all my relatives! :)

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2011, 2:13 pm

Yeah I think so. I'm becoming a man about town and people will recognize me but I don't recall them.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2011, 2:22 pm

The condition of face-blindness is called "prosopagnosia" and it's more common than you might think (up to 2.5% of the population according to wikipedia).

sogj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2011, 3:00 pm

OMG IS THAT A THING?!

I used to get in SO MUCH TROUBLE because I absolutely can't remember people's faces unless I see them on a daily basis. People I roomed with for 4 years in college (in a very close knit ROTC dorm) I can't recognize now unless I check their facebook pages to remind myself what they look like.

Is this in any way associated with AS? I always just thought I was a terrible human being. :/

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm

sogj wrote:
Is this in any way associated with AS? I always just thought I was a terrible human being. :/

You don't need to be AS to have prosopagnosia (lots of NT's have it too) but there is anecdotal evidence suggesting it's more common in AS due to sensory processing differences. Basically the argument goes that AS pays more attention to parts of objects, therefore an Aspie is more likely not to recognize someone if they change their hairstyle, get new glasses, etc.

Ollytheaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2011, 4:27 pm

I haven't had much problem recognizing people's faces, I always know it's that person until they change their appearance then I have slight problems and it takes me several seconds probably until I can put a name to the face.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 5:21 pm

Definitely have problems with this. When walking or driving somewhere I'm ridiculously bad at recognizing who someone is. People at work/school/what-have-you regularly remind me that they went past me on the street one day or another.

Weird that it's context-dependent, in that if I'm not actually doing anything to travel (e.g. passenger seat of a car or bus or ferry), I recognize people as fast as anyone else.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 10:10 pm

mushroo wrote:
sogj wrote:

You don't need to be AS to have prosopagnosia (lots of NT's have it too) but there is anecdotal evidence suggesting it's more common in AS due to sensory processing differences. Basically the argument goes that AS pays more attention to parts of objects, therefore an Aspie is more likely not to recognize someone if they change their hairstyle, get new glasses, etc.

i failed to recognize my own niece when she showed up one day with her blonde locks died jet black.