I know it's his AS, but it still gets on my nerves

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SPKx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2011, 9:35 pm

There's an Asperger's social group I go to regularly. Most of the people I can get along with fine, but there is this recent member who just gets on my nerves. I try to ignore him, since I understand that everything about him that annoys me is probably caused by his Asperger's.

However, at the last outing, he made an incredibly insensitive "joke" about his single status, in which he said that we should send any single girls we meet his way.

I can put up with this guy's attempts at being maybe a little too social with the group members, but that statement really hit a sore spot for me and I made sure it let him know that it was not a statement I found all that funny.

Again, I understand that this is all just a result of his Asperger's, but it's still a statement that I just can't get out of my mind.

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 10:42 pm

What exactly did he say? That sounds like an NT joke to me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 11:02 pm

I'd be ticked off as well.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 12:26 am

SPKx wrote:
There's an Asperger's social group I go to regularly. Most of the people I can get along with fine, but there is this recent member who just gets on my nerves. I try to ignore him, since I understand that everything about him that annoys me is probably caused by his Asperger's.

However, at the last outing, he made an incredibly insensitive "joke" about his single status, in which he said that we should send any single girls we meet his way.

I can put up with this guy's attempts at being maybe a little too social with the group members, but that statement really hit a sore spot for me and I made sure it let him know that it was not a statement I found all that funny.

Again, I understand that this is all just a result of his Asperger's, but it's still a statement that I just can't get out of my mind.

Being social might be very new to him. Perhaps you can find a way to phrase things as to offer him constructive advice on how to determine the social boundaries of others.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

21 Dec 2011, 12:50 am

Don't take it personally, he has a lot to learn.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 4:39 am

I don't understand what was wrong with his joke. Maybe I am that socially inept too :?

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 5:41 am

I don't get it. What's the problem?

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 8:59 am

Just sounds like a trypical crude joke.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2011, 10:58 am

Is that all he said? I've heard that a million times. It's never seemed that odd to me. Just a guy being an egghead.

cooldryplace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2011, 9:19 pm

"There is no humour in Asperger's. There is no fun in Asperger's."

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:13 am

You got offended by that? Seriously? I am still trying to see how that could be offensive.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 1:30 am

Could you provide a bit more context? As presented, I'm not sure I see the problem.

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 9:44 am

Just sounds like banter to me. I'm sure he didn't mean to offend anyone.

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

scmnz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

Is it offensive because you have difficulty finding a girlfriend? Other then that possiblitity, i don't understand what the problem is. Please explain so i may be able to help.

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2011, 6:45 pm

Just sounds like a cheesy joke a single guy would make. There are NT's who make jokes like that as well.