Where did everyone else learn about make-up and stuff? help

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 6:42 am

Female relatives taught me. I'm not mad on makeup but I know the basics of how to apply it. Though checking out magazines and online tutorials (as others have said) would be a good place to start.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

vickypollard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2012, 9:56 am

I'm 18 and don't really wear make-up-- I never have. I'l put on lipstick occasionally, maybe a bit of mascara for a party (I can't remember the last time I wore it though and I seem to be incapable of applying it without smearing it on my nose or eyelids) but that's it. I own one lipstick and one tube of lipgloss and wouldn't for the life of me be able to use foundation or distinguish blusher from bronzer or whatever, I find none of those things worth investing my time in.

What I'm trying to say is that you should not feel pressured to wear make-up. My female friends are nearly all NT and they don't use much make-up either, most of them nothing at all or just mascara. There's no shame in not knowing how to use it, but then again learning something new is always good, so I then would suggest you go on Youtube and let the greatness that is the channels of make-up gurus unfold before your eyes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:53 am

If you want to wear a bit of make-up but are unsure of how to put it on properly (or can't be bothered, like me), just put on some lipstick or lip gloss. It doesn't require too much practice, it is quick and easy, and it automatically comes off throughout the day so you don't have to use all creams and stuff to take it off at night (or fear that you might forget to take it off), and you can just carry it around easily in your bag. It then looks like you make a bit of an effort and wear at least something on your face, but doesn't require too much maintenance and flddling around. I know a lot of women who don't wear any eye make-up but put on some lipstick or lip gloss, and sometimes just putting on a bit of that can go a long way. Since I've been putting on lipstick or lip gloss, I've been feeling better about myself.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 10:00 pm

I never learned, really.
My mom is very into makeup and always looks made-up.
I still feel like a little girl smearing on her mother's lipstick.

I have no idea even what certain things are, like the purpose of foundation, or why I'm supposed to look like I'm blushing.

I put on concealer and powder under my eyes, to hide my horrible raccoon eyes, and eyeliner because I like to make my eyes stand out.
And not even that, a lot of days.

to his Interest."

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 11:52 pm

I watched my mom a lot as a kid. But mostly, I learned from my dad. He talked a lot about what he found attractive-- makeup done right is makeup you can't really tell is there-- and when I wore makeup at all, I based it on that.

I don't wear makeup any more. Sometimes I let friends or relatives "paint" me. But it's uncomfortable and it itches and regardless of what I look like, I feel like a circus clown. Or a dog, always wanting to scratch and rub and paw at my face.

So I take the Dr. Bronner's approach-- Use only two cosmetics: A good night's sleep and a good scrubbing.

I've had a few people tell me I was lit by an inner glow-- but I'm pretty sure they were just trying to make me happy so they could pass off a few more cartons of damaged fruit.

Canning is way more fun than putting on eyeliner...

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 8:01 am

My Mum seldom wore make-up when I was younger, so I never learned anything from her. When I was a young teenager, I saw an advert for a monthly subscription for monthly make-up and instruction book. Each month focussed on different items. Part 1 was foundation/blusher, part 2 was eyes. I stopped after that as I realised I really couldn't afford it. But, I really studied what I had. I learned about the colours that would suit my colouring and how to apply it. I don't wear make-up very often and I have allergies, so I have to buy organic/ mineral make-up. When I do apply it, I know what to do. But I've never got the hang of eye-liner, without looking scary, so I just forget it. Nowadays, I think you can get the same sort of info from the net.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2012, 8:19 am

When I was young I read about it in magazines and watched movies. Then I got out of it for a while. Now I check out YouTube makeup tutorials. They are great. I've always felt that eyeliner was tricky. Now I use this one from Elf (only $1) that swipes on like a marker, so it's really easy, I wear it a lot.

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2012, 11:52 pm

Sephora.com has GREAT tutorials. I went through a makeup phase where I learned everything possible about makeup and hair. I think it worked.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

Late posting, but still...

I actually signed up for and attended a Dillards Department Store charm school when I was in something like 7th or 8th grade (~13-14 yrs old). I felt very out of place among the other girls, but I still attended and learned a lot about posture, walking (including walking and turning on a catwalk), standing up and sitting down from a chair, and how to apply makeup. There was a fashion show at the end and we got a significant discount towards the outfit we modeled (only one outfit). I was so nervous I was stiff as a board walking the stage at the actual show, which was held in the middle of a major mall, so lots of people there, but I could have skipped out if I really wanted to. I have always pushed myself to do stuff even if it made me feel uncomfortable.

I have very oily skin and large pores, which leads to bad acne, so I might wear makeup only a few days out of the year. I really like dressing up in a long velvet dress with dark makeup and going dancing at a goth club. I was a tomboy growing up, so someone back then seeing how often I wear skirts and how I feminine I can be today would shake their heads in disbelief.

Also, I took a Life Skills class offered by my high school as an elective. That class taught me how to use a checkbook and register, there were the obligatory anti-drugs and safe-sex talks and carrying around an egg as a baby, but the one thing I remember liking the most was learning about formal place settings for the table. We had a professional come in and set up a 4-seater table with all the plates, glasses, and silverware you could just about think of. Ever since then I have to re-arrange my silverware whenever I go out to eat to match how they are "supposed" to be. My roommates tease me for that, but it's the good kind of teasing.

Rainbowy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2012, 7:19 pm

^NicoleG, I always push myself to do things I'm not comfortable with too! I usually regret it and feel humiliated!

I wish someone had taught me how to look after my hair and make up years ago. I had terrible self esteem issues, due to a jaw deformity, bad skin and frizzy hair. I have now learnt to do it, and feel so much better (I'm aware this is a psychological cover up for deeper issues). I actually think I look okay with make up. I started learning at 13 and finally perfected it about a year ago. It was a slow process of trial and error. I rarely took any make up risks and always went towards the natural look, so never looked ridiculous trying to wear a full face of slap before I knew how. A fail safe rule for newbies is that you shouldn't look like you're wearing anything, so apply it slowly and, while applying, keep checking with someone else that you look okay. I only use plant-based and natural products (apart from mascara). This is everything i wish I'd known years ago:

The basic make up you need:

*mineral foundation and a synthetic brush
*liquid or mousse foundation for your eye area
*mineral blusher and a slightly smaller synthetic brush
*mascara
*white eyeliner
*make up removal wipes
*flannels

Foundation
- This should be applied second, after mascara.
- Mineral (powder) foundation is best for novices as it is far more subtle, and it's much harder to get carried away and make yourself look ridiculous. It is also best generally, as it's made from natural ingredients.
- Ensure your make up brush is not made of real fur (I brought my synthetic one from Lily Lolo)
- Liquid or mousse-like foundations should be applied with your fingers. Don't bother with sponges. These types of foundation provide more coverage for dark circles round your eyes and see-through eyelids.
- Foundation should cover any area of bad skin, or maybe your whole face, while making it look like your natural skin.
- It should exactly match your skin colour. You may need a darker shade in the summer.
- Don't wear foundation on your whole face unless you have too. For example, if your nose, forehead and chin have open pores or spots, but your cheeks have good skin, leave your cheeks bare.
- Don't cover up quirks like freckles or scars on otherwise good skin, as they are character and not imperfections. It helps to give the illusion that you aren't wearing make up.

Concealer
- This is to provide extra coverage for spots or dark circles. I don't find it does anything for dark circles.
- Whatever the type of concealer, dab it on your finger then build up layers on spots. Don't put concealer sticks directly on spots because too much concealer comes off
- If you put too much concealer on it will make your spot look even more obvious, like a big, yellow crusty lump.

Blusher
- This makes you look like your cheeks are flushed, and makes you look much healthier and prettier.
- As with foundation, mineral blush is best, as it's more subtle. It's also easier to apply.
- It should be the same colour or tiny bit stronger than your natural flushed cheeks. Make sure you are with someone else when you try samples of the blusher. They can help you pick the colour that suits you best.
- Smile, and apply a subtle layer to the round part of your cheeks and other areas that would natural go pink when flushed. It shouldn't look too different. Then gradually build up the layers until you look healthily pink.

White Eyeliner
- This should be gently applied to the rim of your lower lids. It makes your eyes look bigger and healthier.
- Make sure that the nib of the pencil is smooth so no sharp bits catch your eye
- Draw it on lightly, otherwise you will just look like you're wearing white eyeliner, rather than having healthy eyes.
(I don't know about other colour eyeliners or eyeshadow as I have deep set eyes and it looks awful on me)

Mascara:
- This should be applied first, so if you make any mistakes you can easily wipe it off with a wet cotton bud without ruining the rest of your make up.
- Don't use a waterproof mascara, because it's harder to remove if you make a mistake. It's also hard to remove at the end of the day.
-If you happen to cry while wearing non-waterproof mascara, try to compose yourself, and tilt your head back, open your eyes wide (to stop the tears touching the mascara) and dab your tears away with the edge of a folded tissue.
- The shape of the brush is more important than the product. You can use the brush from an empty expensive mascara tube in a cheap mascara liquid.
-Apply it very slowly and gently. With your first coat, you shouldn't be able to see much difference. Then gradually build up the coats until your eyelashes look natural but longer. Don't try a heavier look until you're more experienced, but when you do you can apply the coats harder and quicker.

Lips
- Lipstick will always draw attention to bad teeth or thin lips.
- certain shades of lipstick make your teeth look whiter, for example the brightest possible red, and certain bright bubblegum pinks. But if your teeth are more than slightly yellow it will just draw attention to it.
- Rub your lips with a rough flannel to make them soft, and make sure they're moisturised, eg with shea butter
- I use a colour that looks like my natural lips, only stronger. It's slightly moist and makes my lips look plumper.

Make up removal
1. Wet your eyelashes with your finger to remove most of the mascara, be careful not to get it in your eyes. (I don't know how they remove waterproof mascara)
2. Use the make up wipes (DON'T flush down the toilet! 8))
3. When all the make up is off, wash your face using a flannel and water to remove the residue.

General beauty things I've learn't:
*No product will ever, ever get rid of the problems in your skin.
*You don't need any fancy face washes or products. If you have oily skin, all you ever need to do is wash your face with a flannel and water. Dry skin just needs a natural moisturiser.
*Washing your eyes with ice cold water makes them look less tired.
*Vaseline is a product of crude oil, and is not natural or good for your skin.
*The best moisturiser is shea butter. This stuff is an absolute wonder product and everyone should own it. It acts like vaseline by stopping moisture loss from the skin, only it's natural and feels lovely. The unrefined stuff (Grade A) contains vitamins and nutrients that are good for your skin. It smells faintly of white chocolate or vanilla or something. I only use unrefined, fairtrade, organic shea butter from Akoma.
*Sleep on a satin pillowcase you stop your hair breaking in your sleep
*fake tan is way more effort than it's worth. Having high levels of vitamins A and D are the only things that make your skin look a healthy colour. Go out in the sun enough to get your vitamin D and therefore a slight, healthy tan but not enough to damage your skin. (We are outdoor creatures and I find it hard to believe that incidental sun exposure can be bad for us). Eat bright coloured or dark green fruit and veg as these contain carotenes which make your skin tan.
*With make up, it's hard for a novice to tell by yourself if you look natural or ridiculous. Always err on the side of caution if no one's there to help you, as too little make up is better than too much.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 7:36 pm

My story is long and complicated, but I was never taught to put on make up or gave it any thought, I only wore baggy clothes etc. I had to rely on watching androgynous bandmembers to imitate their make up, because no one noticed I lacked the instinct to do it properly/imitate the way I was supposed to from other females.

modernorchid

03 Feb 2012, 5:47 pm

The show "What Not To Wear" has been really helpful to me. It shows complete makeovers (flattering clothing, haircut, hairstyles, and makeup) for women, so you can see the before and after. Each of the women chosen are different (races, ages, body shape, weight, height, and have their own style preference).

I always wanted to learn how to do a smokey eye for date nite and other special occasions, so I went to Sephora and asked, they did it for me, showed me how, and I purchased the products. Last Halloween, I was the Queen of Hearts and needed makeup ideas....once again, I went to Sephora and they helped me out. Sephora's website also has reviews on products, I like to read what others rate a product before I try it. However, if you don't like a product you can return it. Sephora is an overwhelming place, go during the weekday, have a shopping list, ask for free samples.

I also look at Allure for new beauty products, and award winners.

I wear sunscreen, concealer, curl my eyelashes, a little lip gloss and creamy (non-glittery) blush.

The whole clothing, make up, hair style used to be a nightmare growing up. I have curly hair and my mom didn't know what to do with it. Thank goodness there are many products for curls now. I just studied, yes studied, fashion magazines and trends to find clothing types and colors that look good on me because I got tired of being teased. Guess, I hyperfocused on it for a while. lol

LuckyKayla
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2013, 6:19 pm

I started putting Youtube Beauty Tutorials on my iPhone a while ago and experimented. Some Beauty Gurus are easy to follow, some are not. :/ I highly recommend Michelle Phan, she has clear voiceovers, easy steps, and well-filmed video instructions, although she DOES use lighting tricks.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 6:29 pm

One my friends wanted to give me a makeover. I learned how to put on eyeliner that way. But otherwise, I mainly just experimented with it myself.

Other things that I did were: reading magazines about it, watching some tutorials to no avail, and asking people at the makeup counter to help me pick out makeup. The people at the makeup counter were actually the most helpful IMO. Or just steal a friend who is a makeup artist and pick her brain... I wish that I did.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

17 Mar 2013, 10:39 pm

If I care about something, I google it. Since I do not care about makeup, I do not google it. You, being someone who cares about makeup, should use google.

Actually, as other suggested, YouTube is your friend. Your actual friends, if you have any, probably have bad taste if you're on the Spectrum, so YouTube is your best friend regardless.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 6:58 am

YouTube is good, and some make-up kits have suggestions/instructions right with them. My mother doesn't wear make-up, so it came down to good old trial and error for the most part.