Can you tell when somebody is really evil at first sight...

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:54 am

Even when they haven't done anything wrong in your eyes and you have no valuable argument to prove that he/she is like that?

But just by looking at their appearance, observing their behavior or reading body language?

And do you find out later that your first impression was actually the right one?

I think we aspies have a talent for guessing the inner personalities of people we rarely know, because somehow we have an instinct for spotting the bad ones.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 11:07 am

I always avoid people with evil in their eyes. Speaking of a person with evil eyes...

This is Anders Behring Breivik. A far right wing sociopath that murdered over 50 people. The thing is, you can tell something isn't right just by looking at him.

snpeden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2012, 11:09 am

Yes and No.
I find that after a few minutes of talking with someone (usually in a setting in which they are comfortable), I can form a (typically) more accurate view of their character and how they are likely to act in certain situations than my NT SO. But not just from looking at them. It's mostly, I think, being less engaged socially and more able to "step back" and analyze the person in the moment.
I do often find myself warning those close to me about people being untrustworthy etc, and wanting to say "I told you so" quite often because people don't trust my perceptions.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2012, 11:15 am

ScientistOfSound wrote:
I always avoid people with evil in their eyes. Speaking of a person with evil eyes...

This is Anders Behring Breivik. A far right wing sociopath that murdered over 50 people. The thing is, you can tell something isn't right just by looking at him.

No. He's been diagnosed with paranoid scitzofrenia, but are being evaluated again now due to protests by other psychologists.

And of course you see evil in his eyes, you know what he's done.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 11:44 am

i think you can with some people there just something off about them

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

psychegots wrote:
ScientistOfSound wrote:

No. He's been diagnosed with paranoid scitzofrenia, but are being evaluated again now due to protests by other psychologists.

And of course you see evil in his eyes, you know what he's done.

A few thoughts:

I think Scientist is partially correct; you can tell a lot about a person by their appearance, though sometimes appearances can be deceiving. Plato said the eyes are the windows of the soul, and I think he's right.

I'm guessing the reason psychologists are objecting to Brevik's diagnosis is political rather than objective. Being an overwhelming left-leaning group, psychologists tend to place their ideology ahead of all else. It's part of their value system.

As far as Brevik being a "rightwing extremist", this is demonstrably false. Brevik is a pro-Israel neocon. His stated rationale for doing what he did was that he wanted to stop the party that offers what he sees as inappropriate support for Muslims. Neoconservatism is based upon the thought of Trotsky, who was hardly a rightwinger.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2012, 11:49 am

I think because I put so much conscious effort into reading nonverbal social cues, that yes, I can often spot someone that is untrustworthy sooner than my NT friends.

jenniferjupiter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2012, 11:55 am

snpeden wrote:
I find that after a few minutes of talking with someone (usually in a setting in which they are comfortable), I can form a (typically) more accurate view of their character and how they are likely to act in certain situations than my NT SO. But not just from looking at them. It's mostly, I think, being less engaged socially and more able to "step back" and analyze the person in the moment.

Same.

Pretty sure that for me it comes from being taken advantage of in the past and now being hypervigilant. I can tell pretty quickly how someone is going to treat me. I do, however, need to be a little less judgmental when I make these, er, judgments.

Isn't there some literature about those on the spectrum having an impaired ToM not because it doesn't work but because it works differently? Maybe it's related to this ability to "characterize" a person. I can do that, while intently observing a single individual, but if I'm thrown into a situation and am rushed, and/or there are multiple people, I feel like I'm drowning.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 11:55 am

Not really.

Observations based on appearance can be made immediately, but are not useful without context. Body language and behaviour patterns also need to be put in context, aside from having to be inside or outside a pattern, rather than a single event.

Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behaviour Anytime, Anyplace, is a book that I found helpful on the subject. The focus being on remaining objective, without prejudice, and not allowing emotional involvement to effect perception.

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2012, 1:21 pm

Hello!

I suppose there are people who can sense that sort of thing, but most people can't tell 'right off the bat' just by looking. However, as an Aspie, I miss non-verbal cues that aren't obvious. Personally, I don't write ANYONE off as 'evil' unless words or actions give me irrefutable evidence to do so.

As I grow more in Christ and in the Holy Spirit, perhaps there might be a point where I can sense an 'evil spirit' out there in someone right away, but I'm not there yet.

Have A Great Day!

Rob

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2012, 1:28 pm

Rob-N4RPS wrote:
As I grow more in Christ and in the Holy Spirit, perhaps there might be a point where I can sense an 'evil spirit' out there in someone right away, but I'm not there yet.

Can you walk on water too, when you reach level 85?

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 4:39 pm

ScientistOfSound wrote:

Seriously, is this guy even from earth? His eyes remind me of reptiles and his skin is so clear I doubt there is any blood flowing through, if this guy actually has blood flowing through his body at all? His face sorta looks like some very highly advanced hi-budget CGI experiment created for spielberg movies.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 5:15 pm

no.

but you can sometimes tell if they don't care.

and you can almost always tell if they don't understand and don't "get it".

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 5:31 pm

Uprising wrote:
ScientistOfSound wrote:

Seriously, is this guy even from earth? His eyes remind me of reptiles and his skin is so clear I doubt there is any blood flowing through, if this guy actually has blood flowing through his body at all? His face sorta looks like some very highly advanced hi-budget CGI experiment created for spielberg movies.

I think he looks like a normal person. I don't see what you're seeing. I'm not saying he's not evil, but I'd never pick up on anything just by looking at him. He looks to me like he would probably either be a stoner or a musician or both.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 6:16 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Uprising wrote:
ScientistOfSound wrote:

I think he looks like a normal person. I don't see what you're seeing. I'm not saying he's not evil, but I'd never pick up on anything just by looking at him. He looks to me like he would probably either be a stoner or a musician or both.

Nah, there's something about him that makes him appear quite cold, like you can really see in his eyes he doesn't give a tiny s**t about what he did, he just looks into the camera thinking "Can this s**t be done quickly? I'm not in the mood for this crap. I'm going to jail anyway" while the son of a b***h murdered 50 innocent people in a very short period of time. Like you really can tell from his stare alone that he certainly is the guilty one, cops won't be needing any proof because there is no sign of bad feeling whatsoever in his head, he doesn't feel guilt, he doesn't feel fear.

dancing_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

He looks pretty normal to me, too.