Reading facial expression and body language in films

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2006, 1:46 pm

Do you have a hard time understanding characters in films and TV dramas, reading their gestures and faces. I think I may be slower to process the action, I find reading people most difficult when they are talking to me and connecting with me, there is less pressure when you watch people communicate in a film.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2006, 1:50 pm

I can very easily understand such expressions.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2006, 1:57 pm

I have trouble telling characters apart. I'll be watching the telly, and have to ask my wife "who's this then?"

Tangerine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2006, 2:08 pm

I have trouble with TV characters. I can't keep track of the names/faces easily, especially if I'm trying to follow the dialogue as well. I never knew why, but I always preferred to have closed captioning on the TV-- I think reading the dialogue (in addition to hearing it) helps me keep track of things better somehow. I'll still mix up certain characters if they're similar-looking, but less often. Maybe it's just a matter of it forcing me to pay attention.

I think I also enjoy procedural dramas (ReGenesis, L&O:SVU, House) more than sitcoms (which I rarely watch) because crime or medical stories tend to focus on technical details more than character development. Even though plenty of character interaction takes place, you don't necessarily need to comprehend all of it to enjoy whatever story-of-the-week the episode is about.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2006, 5:54 am

I always get muddled up with Jeff Bridges and Kurt Russell!

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2006, 8:09 am

I realised when I was watching a film the other day that I focus on the objects in the room, the wallpaper, peripheral detail thats of no use to the plot or dialogue!! Pure lack of focus.