Going to give going out to a night bar a chance

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:40 pm

OK, so I've been depressed the last two weeks about feeling alone in not going out clubbing, even though it's not a big deal and I know I'm not missing much, but it's just been playing on my mind and something's telling me I should just go once and give it a go and see what all the fuss is about, and then if I'm not one hundred percent satisfied then I can always come home, and if I do enjoy it then I will stay a little longer and I then would know what to expect if I went again. It's about time I faced upto my fears, and I just want to stare at it right in the face and give it a go. Like they say ''life is an adventure''.

My brother and some of my cousins all go out together and meet people in a pub then go to a bar, and they wouldn't mind me tagging along just this one night. They have asked me before. I'm going to get my hair styled in a few weeks, and I will plan a Friday night (when my brother goes), once the evenings get a bit warmer. In fact, I'm going on holiday in mid-spring so I could go out a week or so before because I will be excited of my holiday coming up so my mood will be lifted, and they say you feel more confident when you're happy.

It might not work, some say it might make my depression worse, but I think it will defeat the depression a little. I will go out for as long as I can take, and as soon as I get fed up or overwhelmed, I will come home. Then at least I could say I've been out at night and gave it a go.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

I've been out to nightclubs before. I can't say it made me a happier person, but if it's something you've never done before then give it a go. Unless I get quite intoxicated I just sit and watch the bags, and take care of the drunkards. But that's just me.

You might really enjoy it, you might not. Give it a go, it might work.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Feb 2012, 6:50 pm

I am with Spock, go for it. Like you say, worst case you go home early knowing that you tried something new.

At your age, I went out often because sitting home on weekend nights began to feel pathetic even to me. I found I didn't enjoy moderate amounts of alcohol (only none or way too much) so I volunteered to be driver which made me feel like I had a place in the group.

I don't think you drive so that won't be your niche but it sounds like you aren't super interested in becoming part of your brother's/cousin's group permanently anyway...just want to get out and see what it is like.

Good for you for deciding on trying something new and good luck! :)

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 12:29 am

Joe90 wrote:
It might not work, some say it might make my depression worse, but I think it will defeat the depression a little. I will go out for as long as I can take, and as soon as I get fed up or overwhelmed, I will come home. Then at least I could say I've been out at night and gave it a go.

usually i have noticed when i go out in group activities i go into depression later on.
Someone passes a nasty comment, or many people ignore me, many avoid me all this adds to my agony and i end
up getting more depressed then before

Apart from that sometimes the relationship gets spoiled without me doing anything people permanently cut off from me.

But thats me and im unlucky in that matters........but who knows you may enjoy yourself

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 4:30 pm

namaste wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

usually i have noticed when i go out in group activities i go into depression later on.
Someone passes a nasty comment, or many people ignore me, many avoid me all this adds to my agony and i end
up getting more depressed then before

Apart from that sometimes the relationship gets spoiled without me doing anything people permanently cut off from me.

But thats me and im unlucky in that matters........but who knows you may enjoy yourself

Well I keep panicking that I'm not going out, and it's what the vast majority of young people do, and I've been criticised that I don't go out, and because I do have this social urge, I thought there will be no harm in giving these things a try.

I really don't know why, but being the only one out of my adult cousins who doesn't ever go out on a Friday or Saturday somehow bothers me. I don't know why it should. Excuse my illogical behaviour, but once I get a bee in my bonnet about something, it is difficult to block it out until I have done something about it. So if I just go and try it once, I can't say that I haven't tried, can I?

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 4:33 pm

Do eet!

I have never done it myself (fear of being picked on and family friends have ended up no longer being here due to the nightlife), but it looks interesting and you'll be safe with them as long as you are close to them.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 4:59 pm

Good to read you've made this decision. Go for it, and good luck.

Don't forget to report back on how it went (well, if you care to, at least).

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2012, 6:09 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Good to read you've made this decision. Go for it, and good luck.

Don't forget to report back on how it went (well, if you care to, at least).

Yes, I would like to hear how it went as well if you don't mind sharing with us. :D