Why and with whom do people talk about the weather

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 5:58 pm

Do they talk about it because people pay attention to it and its non controversial?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 7:12 pm

I think this particular topic is just another learned social reflex, kind of like saying hello to someone you pass by, but in situations where people are spending slightly more time together than passing one another, such as in an elevator. There is a set of socially acceptable things to talk about that are supposed to be able to work with just about anyone, but particularly, with strangers or acquaintances, and the weather is one of the topics in the set. t can also be a way to start a real conversation with someone you want to talk to, because just getting to the point and saying what you want to say may be considered rude or weird.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 8:07 pm

Well i talk about the weather because it directly affects and influences how i go about my day to day routine. Like for example cause i live in the tropics we evidently only have 2 seasons (wet n dry). In the wet season we get a lot of flash flooding, cyclone (hurricanes for those of u who are american) and the very rare occasional waterspout that decides to touch down on land (tornado - i suppose - let it rain fish).
These interesting weather phenomenon are something to talk about, because they directly affect how i live. I mean if there's a catagory 3 or higher cyclone off the coast of where i live well i am going to be packing my emergency kit and heading for shelter, etc...
There are lots of reasons people talk about the weather, i find that people locally talk about weather in preparation for stuff.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2012, 10:23 pm

I'd say the fact that people often start talking after walking into a building (out of the weather) may have something to do with it-it might be on the mind.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 11:43 pm

It's something that affects everyone, and that everyone can relate to.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 2:38 pm

On a more base level, prior to radar and computers, word of mouth about the weather was imminently important. It not only facilitated social connection, but it was important to know if the blizzard outside was getting worse or better, or whether a tornado touched down 5 miles away, or finding out if the waters of the river were drying up further upstream or if there was flooding heading down river. I think over time it's warped into custom, but it used to have a much greater reason for existing as a major topic of discussion upon entering a homestead or other social gathering place.