Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jennibell
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2012, 3:54 pm

Im sure im not the only one who finds themself going on and on about there obsession and when the subject changes you end up talking about it again! Anybody got any tactics in place to know when you need to stop before the person you're talking to gets really annoyed with you??

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

When I'm talking I try and count to 10 in my head. 10 seconds is quite a long time to have just one person talking (unless the conversation is very in depth) and so when I get to 10, I try and take a deep breath and start to come to some sort of conclusion to what I'm saying. I try not to keep moving the conversation back to my interest and I make sure I nod and show interest in what other people are saying so the conversation doesn't feel too one sided.

Jennibell
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2012, 4:47 am

Thanks for the advise now i just need to master counting and talking at the same time :-) x

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 5:26 am

Jennibell wrote:
Thanks for the advise now i just need to master counting and talking at the same time :-) x

Haha, I know it's difficult. I try and do it by tapping my fingers, when I see all ten of my fingers on the touching the table (or whatever) then I know that's been about 10 seconds. It doesn't have to be totally accurate, thank goodness!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

I just leave the room if I keep on talking about it with my husband. Or leave the group.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.