Should I stay more current, and other things..

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:54 am

One of my friends, we were having a conversation, and he's basically for all intensive purposes in the "nerd" social group. I used to be a lot bigger in that group when I was in high school, ie, I was in chess and anime club, but then as I got older, I guess my interests changed a lot. I still like a lot of nerdy things, I still play some video games, and watch anime, but not as much as I used to. The other thing, too, with keeping current is like, people would be like "Hey did you watch ____ show" and I'd be like "Nope, I'm watching Gundam" and I sorta don't look for much new anime, I like what I like, and sometimes I can be introduced to new shows I like, but generally I like older shows, and have my specific anime tastes.

Now I'm realizing even in cases like anime, it's less about what you like, and more of an exchanged commodity, like Top 40 music is on the radio. So part of the reason people liked, say, Naruto, was because a lot of other people liked Naruto. And in the old "nerd" social group I used to belong to more, now it's sorta evolved past anime, and now people are more into tabletop RPGs and playing games online with each other, neither of which I really like. But what I realize, it's less about the actual thing, and more about spending time with people, and tabletop RPGs are a great way to do that. So the anime convention here has a club, and it went from an anime convention with like, 25% general sci-fi/nerd stuff on the side, to a general sci-fi/nerd convention with like 25% anime on the side, as now instead of being "about" anime, it's "about" gathering with other "nerds."

As far as the actual conversation that sparked it, he was telling me I should watch Game of Thrones, and I told him I don't really watch TV, or much of anything anymore. With games, I said sort of the same thing, that I'm just not making time for games anymore, at least as much as I used to. With computers, too, he was telling me I should play Minecraft, and then I told him I'm running Linux, just a Debian derivative, and he's like "You should at least get something more popular, like Ubuntu or something." Then I told him Ubuntu was slow. Then he asked my hardware specs, and they're crap, 2ghz single core, 1 gig DDR1 RAM, integrated graphics/etc, it's a crappy eMachines, but I told him I didn't care, cuz with my Debian, I can turn it on and be on youtube in under a minute, and it's fast as hell. So again, with computers, I should be more current, according to him. Finally with the TV thing, though, he's like "Entertainment, dude, watch some, it'll be around forever." And I'm just thinking "Yes, it'll be around forever, so I'll wait until I'm old and disabled to spend my time sitting around watching TV."

So yeah, main point of this post, they asked what I do all day, I told him I ice skate and lift weights. So he said "So you go ice skating and lift weights, and then you spend your time at home not caring?" "Yeah, pretty much." I mean at home, I go on here (they're saying I need to spend more time on Reddit and I just don't want to) and download a lot of music, but the music I like nobody around me really likes much. But he is right somewhat about my day, that's sorta what I do, I mean in time I'll have a job again, but yeah. I find those things fun, to me ice skating is about the most enjoyable thing I can do, and then weightlifting is fun in a video game kinda way, as you're always trying to beat your last personal record, and it gets quite addictive like that.

So, what should I do? Should I watch more TV, and like, be able to relate to other people better? Play more games? Go on Reddit? Even though I don't really care about such things? I've not really watched TV for I think about a year and a half now, I'll watch it briefly here and there, but I've gone months without turning mine on. With video games, there's a few new games that look cool, like Skyrim, but I just don't care to spend money on them, especially once they were talking about computers, why spend money on a gaming computer when I barely play games anymore? All my money now I'd rather put towards equipment for those respective sports, and then my cars.

Is it wrong to just...do what you wanna do? Am I just sorta being a dick? They're still my friends, just we have less commonality now, their father still invites me over quite a bit to eat, or help him repair stuff or move things, so I still see them quite a bit, but because I'm not into the same sorta things as them, we just don't hang out quite as much anymore. Is this just what happens when you get older? At the same time, too, I've not made too many friends ice skating or weightlifting, basically at most vague acquaintances, and then most of the people I make friends with are significantly older than me, I've not been able to make many same age as me friends skating or lifting. Lifting is weird, too, as to make any friends with that, I'd likely have to join a weightlifting club, as most people at my gym lift more for bodybuilding purposes, and it's really sorta apples to oranges in thought process. And then a weightlifting club costs money. So now it's like, all my things I wanna do are all like, being pursued almost alone, you know?

-------------

So yeah, long rambly post, sorry, but yeah, what should I do? Should I try to have more in common with people, even if they're things I don't genuinely like much, just for the sake of having more friends/being closer to my current friends?

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 12:02 pm

I am a huge nerd in a select number of interests, which don't necessarily match those of the majority of nerds. For example, I'm not into many computer games, table-top RPG's, Star Wars (I like it, just not into it) or Superheroes, things which many other nerds are into. I'm more into animations (such as Pinky and the Brain and Freakazoid), Warhammer, some sci-fi fantasies and I've just got into Lord of the Rings books.

If you do something just because the rest of the "nerd crowd" are doing it, in my opinion, that isn't going to make you feel happy. Sure, you might develop a slightly closer relationship with your friends, but it's no real fun being "forced" into doing something more "mainstream" in the way of nerd-dom.

I have an idea... Why not TELL these people that you want them to try/redo some of the things you're into and emphasize how much you enjoy them and how much you want to watch/do these things with your friends. If they're good friends, then they'll be happy to do what you want for a change and hey, maybe they'll decide they like the things you're into too. :D

Just a suggestion. Chances are that some of your friends aren't particularly into tabletop RPG's and on-line games and are simply playing them to get more into the "nerd crowd," so they'll be happy to try something a little different.

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

questor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 12:44 pm

No, don't keep current just to be part of the herd, if you are not also into doing those things. I agree with MightyZebra. Invite your friends to do the stuff they used to do with you. It might be a good idea to upgrade your computer, though. Not specifically for gaming, but because new home programs, new downloads, online sites, and online apps keep advancing, and eventually, this has a negative effect on old, outdated computer systems. Eventually some of them won't work on your out of date system, and others won't work well. So do upgrade your system to make the most of what's out there. Include plenty of RAM & ROM in the new system, too.

And remember, be yourself and do your own thing. :hockey: :alien: :lol:

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

I've tried asking them, and some of my friends have tried some of the stuff I do, to be fair, but they just didn't like it/weren't good at it, and it didn't "hook" them enough for them to wanna keep trying to be good at it. One of my friends expressed interest in going hiking, which hey, is cool. And again, it's not like we never do anything or hang out, just yeah...

As far as the computer thing, I know, but my solution is just to use applications that are more minimalist/written more efficiently. My computer even with Ubuntu was slow, so instead of buying a new computer, I just switched OSes, my current OS, Crunchbang Debian, only needs 80 megs of RAM for the OS to run. I never really even exceed like 600 megs of RAM anyway having a bunch of tabs open on a browser, youtube going, etc. Looking back, I might have gone with damnsmalllinux and took more time to set it up myself, rather than going with Crunchbang, but yeah. But my friend said regarding that, "So that says you're computer literate enough to set up Linux, set up drivers, etc, but don't actually care about computers enough to do anything?" My friend, one of the brothers I'm talking about, actually gave me a good video card to put into my computer, so that's good, just I've been too lazy to figure out the drivers for Linux...so for now, whatever. I think I'll pretty much only upgrade when things stop working.

Bill92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2012, 7:26 am

I have a similar issue I suppose, but mine stems from me just not being interested in popular culture. I don't watch all the reality-show sagas on primetime t.v., I don't care for the Billboard top 100, and most sitcoms just fly straight over my head.
Instead, I'm studying history, geo-politics, and foreign languages, watching things like the National Geographic and Science Channel, and I'm listening to Mozart.

If your interests don't directly coincide with those of your friends, don't force yourself to "be more like them" because you're not them, you're you! Your friends should like you because of who you are as a person, not exclusively because you watch the same shows as they do.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 10:26 am

I don't keep up with all that newfangled stuff that the kids like these days.

I never listen to new music and don't really know any.

I don't watch tv except dvds and Vampire Diaries. It's been a year since I got rid of cable and I barely ever miss it.

I don't even really buy new games any more. I just get new expansions for my Sims games or play Runescape.