Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2012, 6:50 pm

I recently got a job on call at a preschool/day care place. Like a sub. They called me once last week (Thursday) right after I got all the paperwork, TB test, etc done. She said she might need me the next day and would call to give me the time. When she didn't I called to give her my cell phone number. Twice since then she has said she would probably need me but then hasn't.

I'm not worried about the job itself. It is an on call one. I'm just wondering if there are times I should call, like when she thinks she will need me the next day and if I don't hear from her, should I call? Or just do nothing unless I hear from them?

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:53 pm

I would wait for to call. If she said she is going to call when they need your help, im sure she is going to call.
If I hadnt gotten work for unsually long, I might try calling and asking if it looks like any work is coming up :)

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2012, 8:30 am

Ok thanks.
That is a good way to phrase it when calling. I just exprected more when I was first hired. I don't want them sick of me but also don't want them forgetting about me.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:01 am

If I were you I'd call. That shows that you're a dedicated worker and you really want this job. Also, on certain days that you think it may be busy it might be an added bonus to call and see if they need an extra pair of hands, she may want help and you'd get an extra day right there.

I've worked in daycare for awhile.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2012, 10:48 am

She called. Thank you both for your advice as well as helping know how to phrase questions on when they need me.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 11:49 am

Uhura wrote:
She called. Thank you both for your advice as well as helping know how to phrase questions on when they need me.

No problem and I'm happy for you that she called back!