How do I stop this fear of this social group?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 1:21 pm

I am paranoid that religious people will hurt me. Even though I never have been physically attacked by a Christian or Muslim for religious reasons. I have a lot of LGBT friends, and I know so many terrible things the religious institutions and folk do to them. I cannot help but feel that they would do the same thing to me if given the chance.

My favorite philosophers, free thinkers, scientists, and inventors have been prosecuted and murdered by the religious (and still to this modern day).

I think this is becoming a big problem for my social skills. I just have this huge contempt of religion and the followers. I am beginning to not talk to people who reveal themselves as religious and have intense trust issues. I need to stop, but I don't know how.

I know most religious people are decent, but that doesn't seem to ease my fear and dread of them.

aspergerbil
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

Hey There!

Hmm...a small group of people have made a large population look very bad. The religious people I know are really nice. Even if they have separate opinions, there is mutual respect. Also, think of the bell curve. Many more people are going to be more casual about their religion than zealots. Though, it's no good to tolerate people who stuff their opinions down other's throats. Those sorts are not exclusive to religious folk. There is always some measure of risk opening yourself up to another. It sounds typical, but I want to say to not hold their religious label against them, as others might for disability, LGBT, nationality, race, etc. I want to ease your fears, but only due to my own experience, which has been mostly good. Some of the best people I've known are religious. However, there is a church I used to go to, which was hypocritical and imo sucked, so I guess it depends on where you end up. :) I hope this helps, if not, meh.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm

Well, the violence and lack of tolerance is meted out by both sides back and forth. Look at what happened in Communist China and Russia, thousands of religious people of all types were killed, imprisoned, or persecuted. So this might be more PPR, but atheists have persecuted religious people too. It gets meted out by both sides back and forth.

Anyway, it depends really. You have to learn tolerance. In my case, it's sort of the opposite, most people I hang about have very little interest in religion, or are hostile to it. We just have to learn to get along and put differences aside. If the topics come up, state your opinions, expect debates, etc, but in America, you don't really gotta expect violence back for stating your opinion. Hurt feelings maybe, but no violence. But, as far as how it goes, though sometimes it's fun to debate, or you feel your friends must really know the way you think and that it's right (for their sake, obviously I'd like all my friends to believe in Jesus Christ), for the most part, just don't bring up your religious affiliation or lack of it. If they bring it up, then talk away, but otherwise, avoid it.

As far as the LGBT thing, well, lots of churches now are actually reversing their views on that, I believe it's for the worse, but yeah. Angelicans/Episcopalians, Methodists, some Lutherans, etc, most mainline Protestants are now going with popular opinion on the subject, and don't discourage homosexuality. That said, yes, I do believe such relationships are sinful. That said, it's not my place to judge other people for their sins, that's God's job. I can pray for them perhaps, but realistically, nobody in this life has the planks removed from their own eyes to see to remove the splinters in other's eyes. So any practicing Christian, even if they do believe homosexuality is a sin like me, shouldn't judge you for it, as they should realize they have their own sins to take care of before they go judging others.

As far as the fear, though, the best thing to do is confront it. Find some religious people, and talk to them. For many religious people, especially deeply religious, it's more or less a "special interest" and they'll talk to you forever about it, and many LOVE debating. Just be prepared to have a serious debate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcdsABwKP-s[/youtube]
You might wanna watch that. It's a Christian guy who lives in a Muslim household for a month. I'm Christian, I've gone into mosques and debated Muslims before. I don't believe in Islam at all, do not believe Allah is the same God as mine, don't believe Muhammad was a prophet, don't believe the Koran is a holy book. I told the Muslims this straight out, and debated why. They were always super nice to me, and gave me free food numerous times. Most people would say what I did was suicidal, but I felt no danger and people loved talking to me there. But the only way you'll understand someone is by dialog, and many people simply just hate or fear what they do not understand, and on your end, I think you just lack understanding of religious people, part of your fears may be grounded in what you can see as logical reasons, but it's not a reason to fear or hate all of the believers of the ideas. I can surely go around hating Muslims for 9/11 or whatever, that's quite "logical" to do now, as some Muslims openly express hate of Christians, but it's not fruitful for me, it's not fruitful in the human relations end, and it's not fruitful in the intellectual end, as hate will halt exchange of ideas, and quest for truth.

That's about all. God bless.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

Europe had their Dark Ages where NOTHING was accomplished to educate and propel mankind forward. Their religious, simple minded thinking kept them locked in a mental prison where there was absolutely no growth.

Fast forward to today. Those same religious people have lost their power. The muslim world, however, is still going through their dark ages. It'll be a few hundred years before their own people are liberated. Until then they'll continue their crusade and ass backwards thinking.

I'm glad to live in a country where the religion is not in charge. I don't worry about the religious hurting me, though. I've been mugged a few times but they were done by my own people. Go figure.

How do you stop your fear of the religious? Unless you live in Saudi Arabia or Iran you shouldn't worry. They may come to your door to sell pamphlets but they're pretty harmless. Now, the nut jobs blowing up bombs and flying planes into buildings? They've got the CIA and FBI for that. They don't do witch trials anymore. That's a good thing.

If it would help, just look at the religious as poorly educated souls who really just don't know better.

[Edited so as not to offend anyone.]

Last edited by redrobin62 on 24 Jun 2012, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 3:26 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
If it would help, just look at the religious as poorly educated fools who really just don't know better.

This kind of attitude will not facilitate friendship and understanding with religious people.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

There are good atheists and bad atheists.

There are good religious and bad religious.

There are humble religious, and angry atheists.

I find it particularly offensive the idea that religious=ignorance.

There have been atrocities committed by religious people; but guess what, as someone else posted, China and Russia killed thousands of people and they weren't religious.

Get to know some religious people; give them the same respect you would expect someone to show you as an aspie.

Meow333
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2012, 6:05 pm

During the crusades, millions of Pagans were killed by those who swore allegiance to the church. They were murdered for being innocent earth worshippers.

As far as historical events, religion has caused so many deaths and wars.

For individual people on an individual basis, i would only judge the person as one individual.
Some are good, some are bad.
I try to avoid all of them as to not have to sort it out.