Aspie women should have no trouble with friendships

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

realitysucks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm

Men always approach women, but the converse isn't always true (sure it happens, but less frequently). Men will usually accept a woman's shortcoming because they feel there is a "reward" at the end of the rainbow.

Aspie Men are MUCH more likely to end up friendless, lonely and alone.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 12:55 pm

realitysucks wrote:
Men always approach women, but the converse isn't always true (sure it happens, but less frequently). Men will usually accept a woman's shortcoming because they feel there is a "reward" at the end of the rainbow.

You say men always approach women, then say less frequently women approach men. Sorry, the whole thing just seems like an ignorant view of friendships.

realitysucks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2012, 1:14 pm

Delphiki wrote:
]You say men always approach women, then say less frequently women approach men. Sorry, the whole thing just seems like an ignorant view of friendships.

Ok, I mean generally more often :D.

Siddhi
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2012, 4:41 pm

I dont agree. I am not diagnosed but i have always had a tough time making friends. Though i think here you are not really talking about platonic relationship. Having said that i dont think it is easy for women too, atleast not enough to make a general statement. I can say for myself, that i am 33 and i have not had any relationships. I have been told that there were guys interested in me, but since i cant pick up the cues, nor do i know what i am supposed to do, that info basically is useless for me.

And i dont think men are more tolerant than women. I think men have other expectations than women, but both have expectations for sure.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 6:15 pm

I dunno, guys hitting on a woman doesn't seem the same as having abundant friendship opportunities. I suspect that most people who are "hitting on" someone are not interested in friendship.

I'll admit it probably helps a tiny bit, though.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 6:29 pm

Your post is a bit unclear, but I think you are talking about aspie women having friendships with men? Believe me, a "friendship" based on the man hoping for a "reward" at some point is not an easy friendship.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 7:58 pm

Well, Aspie or not I've never met a single woman who didn't have at least one close friend and I've never heard of a 30 year old virgin girl (except by choice). Conversely, I have been relived to find I'm not the only man who has no close friends and there are a surprising number of Men (Aspie or just introverted) who are eternally alone.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 9:30 pm

realitysucks wrote:

And that's based off what exactly, your own experiences? It can be tough on all of us here in the social world, regardless of gender. Bit of a sexist view point as well that most men have some sort of sex based goal when it comes to forming friendship with females. I certainly don't come under that category.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 9:50 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Well, Aspie or not I've never met a single woman who didn't have at least one close friend and .

I'm a single woman who doesn't have any close friends. I do find that it's easier to have conversations and banter and light friendship with men. They are generally not as dependent on body language cues as women are. Half the time, NT men don't make eye contact in conversation anyway. Women can be a lot harder to connect with because they tend to rely more on body language cues to communicate rather than using words.
This wouldn't be a problem but the friendships I've had with men have tended to be more shallow and lack intimacy, while women friends tend to offer deeper more meaningful friendships.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 10:08 pm

I'd actually disagree. Women are like, more emotional and stuff. Thus if you're not able to read emotions, body language, all that stuff, you're at more of a disadvantage. Plus, women talk about their feelings and stuff like that, guys never talk about their feelings. So you can just have male friends that you can like, work on cars with or something. Males it's much easier to make friends with based upon common interest.

One other thing too, is, well, women are nasty. I mean, on the whole. Men, if they're mad at you, generally they'll be pretty direct with it, and just be like "hey you suck bro" or something. Women on the other hand, do all kinds of nasty psychological things due to their natural higher "empathy." That and women are passive aggressive and never like, confront problems head on. So they'll be mad at someone, and never confront the person over it, whereas men just generally confront people and don't do all kinds of weird passive aggressive gossipy stuff. I mean obviously there's exceptions to this, but yeah.

So due to all these things, I'd say women got it pretty hard for making platonic friends.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 10:21 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I'd actually disagree. Women are like, more emotional and stuff. Thus if you're not able to read emotions, body language, all that stuff, you're at more of a disadvantage. Plus, women talk about their feelings and stuff like that, guys never talk about their feelings. So you can just have male friends that you can like, work on cars with or something. Males it's much easier to make friends with based upon common interest.

One other thing too, is, well, women are nasty. I mean, on the whole. Men, if they're mad at you, generally they'll be pretty direct with it, and just be like "hey you suck bro" or something. Women on the other hand, do all kinds of nasty psychological things due to their natural higher "empathy." That and women are passive aggressive and never like, confront problems head on. So they'll be mad at someone, and never confront the person over it, whereas men just generally confront people and don't do all kinds of weird passive aggressive gossipy stuff. I mean obviously there's exceptions to this, but yeah.

So due to all these things, I'd say women got it pretty hard for making platonic friends.

I definitely agree, when it comes to females befriending females. Tough work. I also find it easier to make friends with males, because of the points you raised. It's hard for an aspie female to find a like-minded female friend.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
Your post is a bit unclear, but I think you are talking about aspie women having friendships with men? Believe me, a "friendship" based on the man hoping for a "reward" at some point is not an easy friendship.

I can vaguely relate to this, too. I made friends with a gay person, and it didn't last long, as well, I'm not gay, so once he figured out he wasn't gonna have sex with me, the friendship kinda fizzled out. Kinda odd experience, actually.