When to use the word Asperger's in describing self?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 10:21 pm

I can generally do well enough socially to pass for NT to most people who don't get to know me well, but the odd AS social deficiency does show sometimes. Someone who knew me very well AND knew enough about Asperger's would probably suspect me of having it.

I generally don't use the word Asperger's to describe myself to most people (including most of the friends I do have.) What are the pros and cons of using that word in conversation (and admitting my Asperger's diagnosis to people)?

AQ: 33

NoGyroApproach
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm

Hi
I personally do not use it to discribe myself either except with family. I have found, where I live, when people hear aspergers the first thing they think of is something is wrong with the person. I have had autism and aspergers come up in general casual conversations, what I hear is a complete mis-inturptation and lack of understanding of aspergers and autism. For me it would be way way way to much mental effort to try and explain it all to them so I prefer to not deal with the subject with non aspies.

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 4:14 pm

I've have hear so many people that have kids that are autistic so whenever the word is brought it reveals that people have a unique child and

they know what's it like to have it. but honestly i don't see the point of saying it to other people. it;s gets annoying after a while.

BMctav
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2012, 11:16 am

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
I generally don't use the word Asperger's to describe myself to most people (including most of the friends I do have.) What are the pros and cons of using that word in conversation (and admitting my Asperger's diagnosis to people)?

As an NT looking in, here's my view:

I think most people don't know what Asperger's is. Or they have some vague idea that someone with Asperger's is shy or quirky.
If you mention autism to an uneducated NT, most will think it is some kind of severe mental illness or retardation.
So lack of education on the subject is definitely a con.

If you tell someone who doesn't know what Asperger's is, but they want to learn more about and how it effects you, this could indicate that this person is decent and worthwhile. You might even tell someone that you have Asperger's and they already know about it, so they'll have a better understanding of the challenges you face. So I'd say that educating people can be a pro in that in helps them relate to you better.

Is that the kind of response you were looking for?

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 11:41 pm

BMctav wrote:
Comp_Geek_573 wrote:

As an NT looking in, here's my view:

I think most people don't know what Asperger's is. Or they have some vague idea that someone with Asperger's is shy or quirky.
If you mention autism to an uneducated NT, most will think it is some kind of severe mental illness or retardation.
So lack of education on the subject is definitely a con.

If you tell someone who doesn't know what Asperger's is, but they want to learn more about and how it effects you, this could indicate that this person is decent and worthwhile. You might even tell someone that you have Asperger's and they already know about it, so they'll have a better understanding of the challenges you face. So I'd say that educating people can be a pro in that in helps them relate to you better.

Is that the kind of response you were looking for?

i agree with this post. it's seeming to say that Asperger's and autism have both the same category and relevance. no wonder. thanks for

explaining that. well i guess i knew that.

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2012, 4:52 pm

My advice for this, if you feel that you are passing and feel comfortable with that, is to only mention it when it comes up organically and then to give your own definition of Asperger's along with your mention.

For example, I have heard some people say that they have "high functioning Asperger's". This isn't an official label. It would mean "almost-neurotypical". But I really like the definition and think more people should say it. It's a very short way of saying "I have Asperger's, but it's not something you'll notice and not something that gets in the way of my life, so don't bother about it."

I'm NT, but I have spinocerebellar ataxia, which is actually pretty serious, but I'm used to my diagnosis and I don't like to bum people out by talking about it. If someone notices me walking funny or otherwise moving funny I just say, "Oh I have a neurological disorder so my balance isn't that great" and then I immediately change the subject. It doesn't give people the chance to feel sorry for something *I* don't feel sorry about and it politely lets them know it's not their business.