Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 4:22 pm

I went to a meetup.com gathering and I asked 2 members there if they were friends. One turned to me and said that was something private.
I asked a while after another member mentioned (in front of them) that these two get along well. I thought I pick up where he left off.
Was I really rude or were they making a joke? Is it really socially unacceptable to ask if people are friends at these gatherings?

I'm confused.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm

Stalk wrote:
I went to a meetup.com gathering and I asked 2 members there if they were friends. One turned to me and said that was something private.
I asked a while after another member mentioned (in front of them) that these two get along well. I thought I pick up where he left off.
Was I really rude or were they making a joke? Is it really socially unacceptable to ask if people are friends at these gatherings?

I'm confused.

I would be happy if someone asked me if I was his or her friend. It's something good for us all to know. There is nothing wrong with asking or being asked.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 7:22 pm

Stalk wrote:

I'm confused.

They likely objected to your prying into something that they saw as being none of your business. People may not care if their mutual acquaintances know that they are friends with each other, but may strongly object to complete strangers asking. Plus, if they are busy with each other then they may not have welcomed the intrusion at all.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 9:37 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking that...seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 7:36 am

eric76 wrote:
Stalk wrote:

I'm confused.

They likely objected to your prying into something that they saw as being none of your business. People may not care if their mutual acquaintances know that they are friends with each other, but may strongly object to complete strangers asking. Plus, if they are busy with each other then they may not have welcomed the intrusion at all.

So there is nothing I can do then?

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:02 pm

Stalk wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Stalk wrote:

I'm confused.

So there is nothing I can do then?

You can apologize the next time you see them: say that at the time you didn't realize this was intrusive. As a general rule, it's good to only say things like this if you've been talking with these people for quite a while or know them as acquaintances.

I am an anomaly. Diagnosed with borderline,"tentative" Aspergers at 7 as the school board required me to have a label in order to receive special education services. I did not fit criteria for ASD but that was the closest label that fit my behaviour at the time.

My longtime psychiatrist has confirmed that I do not qualify for an ASD diagnosis (but have traits & OCD-like traits).

Mostly keeping a distance from ASD-related things (including WP).