Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 11:36 pm

Um, I hope that I won't end up divulging too many details here just in case the other party involved stumbles upon Wrong Planet. Let me begin... I angered a newsroom intern because I had asked her something like, "Do journalists abide by a code of ethics?" I asked her this question because I was genuinely curious about codes of ethics for various professions. I don't understand why she got so angry with me that she refused to contact me anymore.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 11:44 pm

By asking that question, you may have given her the impression that you were making an observation regarding the apparent lack of a code of ethics among journalists -- a profession that she is so enamored with that she is willing to work as a journalist for free.

It's like asking a missionary if Christians abide by any set of Commandments.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 12:32 am

I guess Fnord is onto something but in a way I don't think it's that silly or offensive a question. Perhaps if you had asked what IS your code of ethics as opposed to whether or not they had one. I don't think the question was wrong but maybe it was just the way you worded it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 10:19 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
... Perhaps if you had asked what IS your code of ethics as opposed to whether or not they had one. I don't think the question was wrong but maybe it was just the way you worded it.

^ This.

There is also the fact that some people seem to perceive any question of their interests as an attack on those interests, or at least a threat.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2012, 5:09 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
There is also the fact that some people seem to perceive any question of their interests as an attack on those interests, or at least a threat.

^ I think this is an excellent way to put it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 5:14 pm

VAGraduateStudent wrote:
raisedbyignorance wrote:

*AHEM*

Please give credit where it is due. :wink:

Fnord is the one who actually wrote:

No worries, though!

:D

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2012, 5:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
VAGraduateStudent wrote:
raisedbyignorance wrote:

*AHEM*

No worries, though!

:D[/quote

lol! Sorry Fnord! I was distracted by Maury and messed up the quotes!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2012, 8:06 pm

VAGraduateStudent wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VAGraduateStudent wrote:
raisedbyignorance wrote:

*AHEM*

No worries, though!

:D[/quote

lol! Sorry Fnord! I was distracted by Maury and messed up the quotes!

lol! I can see that. Happy New Year!

:D