Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 2:44 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Wanderer if a white person behaves rudely too me I get annoyed.

What does that tell you?

That you're human. :)

It says nothing at all about how likely you are to think a white person is behaving rudely, compared to anyone else. I wonder if you're familiar with this Shakespeare quote: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"?

As I said already, just about every person on this planet has unconscious racism inside them somewhere. It isn't a pleasant thing to confront, I understand that, but that doesn't make it untrue.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 10:54 pm

theWanderer wrote:
The last quote doesn't prove anything - except the fact "I'm not a racist" means very little.

That was exactly my point. I was countering the apparent implication that denying racism was somehow evidence of racism.

Quote:
But, as far as that goes, I did suggest it could be unconscious racism - which almost everyone on the planet is guilty of.

I very strongly disagree with the idea that nearly everyone is unconsciously racist.

Quote:
And it wasn't just the phrase "these types of people" (which is almost always code for some type of racist attitude) - you overlooked the other point I made. Why not make such an issue out of the other common factor in these situations, the types of jobs involved?

Looking at the original post, he did make as much of an issue over that.

Quote:
And, yes, I was gentle.

You accused him of something that in your own words would cause you to "consider that possibility for days or weeks before coming to any conclusion, and it would still probably trouble me long after that". That's not gentle.

Quote:
My sympathies are with anyone who is touchy when they sense even an unconscious racism.

I have no such sympathy for someone who is touchy about 'sensing' what they think is racism. If they have to be that sensitive and touchy to notice it, it very likely isn't there.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2013, 4:27 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I don't mean too offend anyone in this post and I do not mean too come across as racist.

Have you noticed sometimes how SOME people from foreign backgrounds (they usually are bald with a shaved head and have dark medium brown skin). More too the point I noticed upon encountering some of these people that they can become hostile and difficult if you make the smallest mistake around them. They tend too work as public servants in jobs such as postmen or ticket inspectors on trains etc....

Why are they so unfriendly aggressive? Maybe these types of people are not as tolerant of my aspie awkwardness compared too others?

This question is mainly aimed at people from the UK

I live in the UK and I haven't come across this.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
theWanderer wrote:
The last quote doesn't prove anything - except the fact "I'm not a racist" means very little.

That was exactly my point. I was countering the apparent implication that denying racism was somehow evidence of racism.

Quote:
But, as far as that goes, I did suggest it could be unconscious racism - which almost everyone on the planet is guilty of.

I very strongly disagree with the idea that nearly everyone is unconsciously racist.

Quote:
And it wasn't just the phrase "these types of people" (which is almost always code for some type of racist attitude) - you overlooked the other point I made. Why not make such an issue out of the other common factor in these situations, the types of jobs involved?

Looking at the original post, he did make as much of an issue over that.

Quote:
And, yes, I was gentle.

You accused him of something that in your own words would cause you to "consider that possibility for days or weeks before coming to any conclusion, and it would still probably trouble me long after that". That's not gentle.

Quote:
My sympathies are with anyone who is touchy when they sense even an unconscious racism.

I have no such sympathy for someone who is touchy about 'sensing' what they think is racism. If they have to be that sensitive and touchy to notice it, it very likely isn't there.

Well, in studies they've found that even people who are consciously liberal have unconscious racist biases.