Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

12 Feb 2013, 7:26 pm

For a single guy to join a Meetup group/large university class for salsa dance/any dance lessons without bringing a girl along (because it seems like he is deliberately trying to hook up -- which I'm not. I'm actually trying to do it for body awareness/NVLD). Just not sure.

I don't think I give off a creepy vibe generally, and women usually seem happy to talk to me; I just have dating problems sometimes because I never ask anyone out. I just wanted to know if the act itself is creepy.

NTgirl/high-functioning aspie girl opinions very welcome.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
For a single guy to join a Meetup group/large university class for salsa dance/any dance lessons without bringing a girl along (because it seems like he is deliberately trying to hook up -- which I'm not. I'm actually trying to do it for body awareness/NVLD). Just not sure.

I don't think I give off a creepy vibe generally, and women usually seem happy to talk to me; I just have dating problems sometimes because I never ask anyone out. I just wanted to know if the act itself is creepy.

Take ballet classes instead. You'll probably be the only guy there.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 8:22 pm

Quote:
For a single guy to join a Meetup group/large university class for salsa dance/any dance lessons without bringing a girl along

Nope, not creepy at all. My experience is that many folks who take dance lessons do so alone. They are taught with the instructor as partner (in the case of private lessons) or are partnered with a fellow student in group lessons. Usually there are more women dance students than men. Result; male dance students tend to be a prized commodity.

Quote:
I'm actually trying to do it for body awareness/NVLD

Dance is a good choice for improving body awareness.

Go and enjoy.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 9:25 pm

Which kind of dance then? Hip hop? Salsa? Ballet? I think hip hop might have more turning and stuff, but salsa/swing involve tracking/syncing with another person (and not stepping on them), which could be good for spatial awareness.

AngelNicki
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2013, 10:44 pm

I have never taken a dance class, but I have heard from others that it is pretty common for some people to show up alone. People might want to brush up on their dancing skills BEFORE they are dating, or just learn to dance as a hobby. If a partner was needed, you'd probably be paired up with someone else who was alone. :D

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

Tyri0n wrote:

Some might wonder, but whatever, this is a dance class. You have your reasons for joining, you have things you're trying to learn from it. If you don't get taken aside and spoken to by the instructor(s) don't worry about it.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:02 pm

AngelKnight wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Some might wonder, but whatever, this is a dance class. You have your reasons for joining, you have things you're trying to learn from it. If you don't get taken aside and spoken to by the instructor(s) don't worry about it.

What sorts of things would some wonder?

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:17 pm

I'm sorry, no one has any rational justification for being creeped out just because a guy signs up without a dance partner. That'd be insane. Go for it, man.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:39 pm

I used to know someone who took dance classes expressly for the purpose of meeting women at the classes.

According to him, he wasn't the only one.

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:47 pm

eric76 wrote:
I used to know someone who took dance classes expressly for the purpose of meeting women at the classes.

All right, but unless the guy actually starts coming on to you (in an unwelcome way), it doesn't make sense to judge them.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:50 pm

Yuugiri wrote:
eric76 wrote:

All right, but unless the guy actually starts coming on to you (in an unwelcome way), it doesn't make sense to judge them.

I fully agree with you on that.

I was just pointing out that dance classes certainly are a legitimate place to meet women. Nothing creepy about that.

There would be exceptions for classes that are explicitly couples only or if they are for kids.

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:57 pm

eric76 wrote:
fully agree with you on that.

I was just pointing out that dance classes certainly are a legitimate place to meet women. Nothing creepy about that.

There would be exceptions for classes that are explicitly couples only or if they are for kids.

Ah, ok. Good point.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 7:07 pm

Quote:

Of course, if you went to the kids class to meet the instructor ... .

I used to work in an office next door to the main office for a small company that ran dance classes for kids in the area schools. Once a month all the instructors would come to the main office for their monthly meeting.

I really loved the day they had their monthly meetings. When waiting for the meetings to start and then again after the meeting, from one end to the other, the hallway would be filled with really good looking reasonably athletic women stretching and comparing various dance moves.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 10:08 pm

Well, I think maybe if I tell the instructor it's for NVLD, not to meet women, and then struggle to find the door out (this always happens to me anyway!! :cry: ), it would be ok.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 6:44 pm

Tyri0n wrote:

It's not creepy at all. It's just fine.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 7:52 am

Tyri0n wrote:
AngelKnight wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

What sorts of things would some wonder?

"What's he doing here?"

But if this is the part of my post you're focusing on, I think you might have missed the point. The point is: "Just go. Other than your opinion, the only other ones that matter are the opinions of those organizing the classes."