Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Amrik
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jul 2013, 5:32 am

I've noticed that if you're trying hard to look someone in the eyes you'll come across as staring at them and make them feel uncomfortable. A little trick that might work in preventing that perception is to stare at one eye and then after a few seconds switch to the other eye - it should help you to blink more which counters that staring perception. It's easy to do when you're listening to that person but harder when you're speaking because you can lose your train of thought multitasking like that. Keep practicing though as you will get better.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 7:01 am

its probably better and easier to just look at their nose.

Amrik
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jul 2013, 7:11 am

naturalplastic wrote:
its probably better and easier to just look at their nose.

Why?

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2013, 9:16 am

Looking at their nose is less uncomfortable and they usually can't tell the difference

Amrik
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jul 2013, 9:59 am

EMTkid wrote:
Looking at their nose is less uncomfortable and they usually can't tell the difference

But then you're still staring at a focal point and probably not blinking as much and therefore making them feel uncomfortable.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 10:15 am

I usually do the blinking trick too :D

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 11:15 am

I learned how to make eye contact a few years ago but cannot really see exactly where I am looking.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 6:02 am

i try to look at a point just hehind their heads, the way i do that generates some effect that makes my eyes appear to move according to the movements of the other person.
this way, i always seem to make switching eyecontact, changing eyes and looking away whenever appropriate, becouse the other person does that too

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 11:44 am

I learned that you're supposed to look completely away from the person sometimes when you're making eye contact--like, you look at the person's face for some words (and you're supposed to do things like nod and say "okay" if they're talking) and then you glance at the window or your hand or the ground, and you look back at them. This is still sort of confusing, but from what I gather it's better to be looking away a little too much than to look AT THE EYES too much, as long as you have eye contact some of the time (maybe 50%? I don't know)