Why are my friends getting annoyed by the fact I complain...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2013, 11:21 am

too much?

I just find it really selfish to be honest. I suffer from a horrible family life, anxiety,depression and insomnia and I always look to them for guidance and for support. None of my friends care, they don't want to listen. Heck, they don't even think I suffer from depression.My friends that I have looked for support from have either: got annoyed and left, b*tched about me behind my back or use it as an insult to me saying 'nobody likes me because I complain too much'.

They just say I'm being whiny and I'm going through a depression phase which I will grow out of. Nobody understands at all. I've been abused so much in my family house because of my stepmother. I've tried social services and everything, but I just grit my teeth and bare with the pain. But I'm all on my own and I have nobody to confine in. I just don't get it, should I feel bad about complaining too much and stop? Because that's what I'm doing. I just don't know what to do anymore, I have no friends who will listen to me.This has caused me to always listen to others problems and to always be there for them because I know how painful it is to have nobody there for you.

Heck, even when I said I wanted to die my friend said I was stupid. The many reasons why I can't sleep is because I dream of myself dying and start crying. I just want to escape this inner turmoil I suffer from, but I find it hard to do so.

I don't understand why they think it's alright to call me annoying and whiny when I'm suffering inside :/

monkyingaround
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2013, 12:17 pm

I've gone through a lot of the same things you're going through. Really bad depression, to the point of wanting to die, and a lot of stuff going on at home. It sounds to me like your so-called 'friends' aren't being very sensitive at all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to talk to someone about the problems you're going through- It's their fault they don't want to listen, not yours! If your stepmother really is abusive like you say, you might want to talk with your school counselor to see if they can get you out of there. As for your friends, I've discovered that the best way to get people to respect you is to just BE CONFIDENT. Even if you don't feel confident, pretend to be, because it can really change their reaction. Draw the line with them and tell them that you have REAL problems and that if they can't listen to you every once in a while when you're feeling down, then they aren't true friends. Don't let them make you feel bad for caring about yourself once in a while! You listen to their troubles, so they need to start listening to yours. Most importantly, always remember YOU'RE WORTH IT! No matter how bad you feel, how much you want to die, don't actually try anything! I know how hard it is, but don't give in! Just keep pushing and eventually things will look up. Find yourself some good coping skills- whatever you enjoy, do it when you're feeling down. Personally, I use my lack of knowledge about what happens when you die to sort of scare me away from the thought of suicide- to me, pain is better than not existing. As for the nightmares, I get those too. When you are falling asleep, try thinking positive thoughts. Imagine the place where you feel most happy. Really focus on the senses- feel the ground, hear waves crashing or music or whatever, smell whatever cookies are baking. For me, my place is-this is a bit silly- a beach with an enchanted forest right beside is, and I'm a wolf with big butterfly wings. If you focus on this place well enough, you'll dream about it instead of the nightmares! I think I've covered most of my advice now... Hope you had the patience to read all of that :P

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2013, 12:30 pm

monkyingaround wrote:
I've gone through a lot of the same things you're going through. Really bad depression, to the point of wanting to die, and a lot of stuff going on at home. It sounds to me like your so-called 'friends' aren't being very sensitive at all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to talk to someone about the problems you're going through- It's their fault they don't want to listen, not yours! If your stepmother really is abusive like you say, you might want to talk with your school counselor to see if they can get you out of there. As for your friends, I've discovered that the best way to get people to respect you is to just BE CONFIDENT. Even if you don't feel confident, pretend to be, because it can really change their reaction. Draw the line with them and tell them that you have REAL problems and that if they can't listen to you every once in a while when you're feeling down, then they aren't true friends. Don't let them make you feel bad for caring about yourself once in a while! You listen to their troubles, so they need to start listening to yours. Most importantly, always remember YOU'RE WORTH IT! No matter how bad you feel, how much you want to die, don't actually try anything! I know how hard it is, but don't give in! Just keep pushing and eventually things will look up. Find yourself some good coping skills- whatever you enjoy, do it when you're feeling down. Personally, I use my lack of knowledge about what happens when you die to sort of scare me away from the thought of suicide- to me, pain is better than not existing. As for the nightmares, I get those too. When you are falling asleep, try thinking positive thoughts. Imagine the place where you feel most happy. Really focus on the senses- feel the ground, hear waves crashing or music or whatever, smell whatever cookies are baking. For me, my place is-this is a bit silly- a beach with an enchanted forest right beside is, and I'm a wolf with big butterfly wings. If you focus on this place well enough, you'll dream about it instead of the nightmares! I think I've covered most of my advice now... Hope you had the patience to read all of that :P

When I get back to school, I will have no friends. I have 3 groups of friends. My main group ignores me most of the time. My other group of friends are the ones that b*tched about me and have some issues with me and my last group of friends are nasty to me. I'm always worried that these emotions I'm going through will change me into a horrible, angry, sad, boring person. I don't want my happiness to fade away :/ It's just causing so much anxiety gaaah

monkyingaround
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2013, 12:47 pm

Don't worry about that! If anything, what you're going through is going to make you more interesting, stronger, and more complete. As for friends... my best suggestion would be to join a club or class next year that you're interested in. From experience, you'll probably meet the nicest people in something geeky like chess club, book club, or robotics. (Us geeks tend to know what it feels like to be rejected, heheh) If you take an art class, there's a pretty good chance you'll meet some cool artsy kids. Or, in one of those corny leadership classes, anyone who calls you whiny just for wanting to talk about yourself every once in a while simply isn't being a good leader ;) Just as long as you actually enjoy whatever it is. Also, don't be depressed or anxious about being depressed or anxious-I do that sometimes and it just becomes an endless, pointless loop.

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2013, 1:16 pm

monkyingaround wrote:

When I get back to school, I will have no friends. I have 3 groups of friends. My main group ignores me most of the time. My other group of friends are the ones that b*tched about me and have some issues with me and my last group of friends are nasty to me. I'm always worried that these emotions I'm going through will change me into a horrible, angry, sad, boring person. I don't want my happiness to fade away :/ It's just causing so much anxiety gaaah

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2013, 1:29 pm

They're not your friends ... good riddance