Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:57 pm

Recently at work, there was an event with an aspect of personal development. One of the exercises was to have others rate your happiness level, and compare this to your own opinion. This was done with people I knew and people I didn't, and studies have shown they they are equally likely to perceive correctly.

People perceived me to be much happier than I saw myself. So. Is this a good thing? Would you prefer to be seen as happier than you are, or seem content to others, but be very happy in yourself?

In terms of social interaction, I've certainly noticed "random" people don't hesitate in talking to me. I do not like this. But I suppose it can help with one's professional life.

Opinions.. blessing or a curse? Is it better to have people think you're sadder than you are, or be sadder than people think?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 6:06 pm

If I took the same quiz, the results would be like yours - people would think I was happier than I really am. I know this because I put on a false face every time I go to work. I don't want to be there, I despise the place but I need the money to pay the rent. You won't see me sulking or cussing up the place. I just go along with everything like I was in a play or a movie.

I never could stand any of my jobs so I had to put on my act otherwise I'd be fired for being negative. It's a necessary survival mechanism and one I've done for years. If people think you're sadder than you are, they might want to refer you to job development or make you sit in the manager's office more times than you'd want to.

I did my best to stay away from the managers at all cost. Whenever your name comes across their desk, to me, that's another nail in your coffin.

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 7:34 pm

In a work environment, I'd sooner be misperceived as happy. It means that you're less likely to be regarded as the office 'misfit' or 'weirdo', which always marks you out for unwanted and invariably negative attention, and gets to be a self-fulfilling prophecy as people start to avoid you or treat you unfavourably.

If you're regarded as happy, then make the most of it -- and save your curses and de-stressing for the moment you shut your front door behind you, so no-one else can see!