Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 1:20 pm

Was chattering with this woman on facebook, I commented on our children now days starting to think its the norm for single parents to be raising children alone and expecting for relationships not to last. that its a sad thing.

She went off on me about that #yesallwomen thingy, and wanted me to go there and listen to their views on men. and I stated, that I am not all men, and its a big turn off to me when I have to prove I am not like all those other men to any dates or women I am trying to get to know. that every time I even thought about taking any sides I get attacked, esp since I as well am a male. so I do not want anything to do with it. esp on a bias site as she was trying to push me to go into. I am not responsible for other peoples actions nor am I those other people because of my sex. and I don't want to be in a position of always having to defend my self or my sex. thats about like getting in the middle of a couples fight, no thank you. as far as I am concerned, its about like all the relationships I been in, no matter how hard I tried women never seem to be happy. so I want nothing to do with it.

Man she got angry at that.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 1:30 pm

AspergianMutantt wrote:
Was chattering with this woman on facebook, I commented on our children now days starting to think its the norm for single parents to be raising children alone and expecting for relationships not to last. that its a sad thing.

It is sad in a way as it would probably be nice to grow up in a home with both parents, but not if there is strife between them. People change over time and a couple doesn't always grown in the same direction. If that happens it shouldn't be a big deal for them to part.

With regard to the feminist group she has encouraged you to attend, I recommend being wary.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Man she got angry at that.

Consider what a favor she did you by showing you what she is really like.

If you are someplace where you are being attacked (put on the defensive), find someplace else.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:55 pm

Its OK, we mutually un-friended each other :lol:
And the FB group we was in, they didn't want to hear it either.
So she went to ignoring the subject in hopes everyone would drop it.
Its a hippie site, no one wanted to listen to her drama.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 1:14 pm

Back when I was a kid, most kids had both their parents. But I don't know then how many of them actually had divorced parents (I know some did) and I don't know how many had parents who never married or had single parents. I knew one friend who didn't know who her real father was and I knew one other girl whose parents were never married so she had a half sister. I am not sure if it has always been this bad or I was just not aware because both my parents were together and still are so I assumed other kids had one dad and one mother together and that was the norm. It was alien to me and foreign to hear kids having step parents or single parents or parents who were never married. Now it feels normal because I have seen it too much. In fact it feels not the norm anymore to have both parents together and all the kids have the same moms or dads. I can imagine my kids going to school and thinking they have a weird family because both their parents are still married while everyone else has divorced parents or parents who never married and they have step parents and half siblings.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

charlie92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

Hi, I think the idea behind the 'yes all women' thing is basically that all women do experience some form of sexism whether it's certain guys being rude to them directly or from other things e.g. pay gap (can't think of a better example off the top of my head right now). And that insisting that you are not a guy who thinks he is better than women just changes the subject. Feminists (except a minority) don't think all men are pigs. However though, I really can't see how the comment you made about single parents seeming normal relates to sexism.