When people put "Huh" at the end of a sentence

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 7:08 am

Hi:
How many people in here have had a conversation with someone and they don't take you seriously. They always respond with a sarcastic yet condescending response.

For example let's say that you are trying to fit into a conversation and you are talking (Not exclusively) about how you like meeting new people.

Then one of the people smile and say "It's fun to meet new people...huh?" Or if you have a crush on someone the other person says "He's handsome huh?"

This is an absolute hot button for me.

How many other people experience this and why does it happen?

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 4:37 pm

Yes, I think it sounds something out of Kevin n' Perry Go Large like the stereotypical allistic adolescent/youth. It can sound a bit condescending. The huh? usually making a sentence a question can also be a check to see if two people are on the same social wavelength especially on the specific topic for example of the whose going out with who for those on the neurotypical spectrum like an empathy check. :idea:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm

I never really took that phrasing to be particularly condescending...more of just a 'so that is what you think than' sort of comment. Like if someone said to me 'you really like metal music...huh? I'd take that to mean they are just asking to confirm it is something I in fact really enjoy. I could it see it being construed as challenge words in some contexts...like if someone says something like 'so you got a problem with me huh'....but I don't know I guess it would depend on context and how its being said for me to take it as a particularly negative wording.

Or it can even mean they didn't quite hear/understand what was said...but then usually its not at the end of a sentence, the person might just say ....'huh' rather than what but I take it to mean the same usually in that context.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2015, 8:47 pm

The reason why I don't care for the "Huh" is because I had respite a provider who used to talk to me in a friendly yet in a tone like they were talking sweetly to a little kid. I did not actually bother me until they decided to call it quits over something stupid. Since then I have not like it when people talk like that. It makes me sick.

I have also had people in my life who didn't want to be at a social gathering but they went anyway. It was when I made a comment about liking the location of the event and they smiled and said "This is a nice location huh?" At that time I did not read that they were really saying "Yeah whatever."

Korin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm

Sometimes eh too

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 2:02 pm

There are different ways you can phrase huh at the end of a sentence:

I noticed the character Po use from Kung Fu Panda say "The Furious Five huh?" That was in the form of a question

Whereas someone responds to you in the form of a sentence. In my case let's say that I am telling someone who I know that I am headed to a hotel and I let them know that I went to a grocery store before I left.

I would get "That's a way to save money...huh?" They would also say "You like having your favorite food in the hotel huh?"

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 2:07 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:

I noticed the character Po use from Kung Fu Panda say "The Furious Five huh?" That was in the form of a question

Whereas someone responds to you in the form of a sentence. In my case let's say that I am telling someone who I know that I am headed to a hotel and I let them know that I went to a grocery store before I left.

I would get "That's a way to save money...huh?" They would also say "You like having your favorite food in the hotel huh?"

And those are condescending comments because? unless there is more context you're leaving out....like what do you take those comments to mean that the person was making fun of you for going to the grocery store and being in a hotel? Seems to me maybe they where just attempting to make conversation rather than being malicious.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2015, 3:32 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Hi:
How many people in here have had a conversation with someone and they don't take you seriously. They always respond with a sarcastic yet condescending response.

For example let's say that you are trying to fit into a conversation and you are talking (Not exclusively) about how you like meeting new people.

Then one of the people smile and say "It's fun to meet new people...huh?" Or if you have a crush on someone the other person says "He's handsome huh?"

This is an absolute hot button for me.

How many other people experience this and why does it happen?

I have never heard anybody say "huh?" at the end of a statement. That's so weird to me.... :|

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2015, 9:34 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:

And those are condescending comments because? unless there is more context you're leaving out....like what do you take those comments to mean that the person was making fun of you for going to the grocery store and being in a hotel? Seems to me maybe they where just attempting to make conversation rather than being malicious.

I don't know if malicious is the word that I would describe. I know they are not trying to hurt us but it seems more like they aren't taking me seriously(I wish WP had a recording device so I could demonstrate what I mean).

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 1:56 am

In that context it just means "Do you agree?" or "isn't it?".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 4:47 pm

I don't know if those two would fit what I am trying to talk about.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2015, 4:43 pm

I don't really think anything when people put 'huh' or 'eh' at the end of a sentence.

But where I live, a lot of young people say 'innit' after everything, even in a context where saying 'isn't it' at the end wouldn't make any sense (for example, "I'm going to town, innit" or "Yes, innit" or "Shut up, innit".) That's annoying.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2015, 7:55 pm

Hello,

Depends on the context! Putting 'huh' at the end of a sentence can be a "faux pas" in grammar.

Informally, putting 'huh' at the end of a sentence with people one knows (for a mutual laugh) can be okay....once in a while! Otherwise, 'huh' may be interpreted as sarcastic.