Who here has given up on a social life?

Page 3 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm

^^^
be glad it is not pounding loud conjunto music that makes the place shake.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 1:58 am

Gave up during school when my first year i started making friends/acquaintances and couple years later our interests threw each other apart and stopped hanging out with anyone. At that point until year 10/11 and sixth form I had been able to stay indoors use the computers hanging out with few people somewhat within school grounds not outside school and probably only had one proper friend but not close enough to be best friend. At college I met students who wouldn't care about work and chat all the time and they would suffer the low grades for not paying attention to lectures and those who cared about the work I sort of helped them with assignments or they help me and i got top grades probably cos i didnt talk alot and spent more time in lunch to work. Then in university social skills are a necessity, i didn't blend in with my groups, I had an area i was confident i'd be good in and they put me in a different area because they wanted it more, in hindsight if I had made a friend or 2 at the start I would have succeeded and been able to work together so a social life would be advantageous in higher education.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 7:29 am

I find offline life socialization to be overwhelming. I manage to talk to two friends on an erratic basis... both are okay with this as they are busy anyway. A few times a year is usually more than acceptable with them. It is fair to note, I do have a spouse and grown children who do not live at home any more. I interact with the children on a regular basis (oh, college kids raiding my fridge), daily with the spouse. He is home at night. Yeah, it is not that I have given up, it is more like I am at a place in life where I do not want to deal with that. I do not seem to have it in me.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 8:21 am

I never have fitted in. I don't know how to join in on a conversation and I find what most NT's talk about to be boring.

Recently, I had 2 friends but one's a raging alcoholic and no good for me and the other stabbed me in the back.

I've always preferred my own company, even when I was little and am about to move into a new (unknown location) place. I won't be telling anyone where I'll be living.

I'm looking forward to living alone again. :) I don't want or need a social life.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Soulish
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2015, 8:26 am

Do any of you who have given up use anonymous social networks?

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 8:27 am

Soulish wrote:

I don't.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 11:53 am

Soulish wrote:

What are those?

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 12:00 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
I never have fitted in. I don't know how to join in on a conversation and I find what most NT's talk about to be boring.

I am really bad at ad hoc, unstructured conversation. I am not good at initiating topics or participating in the flow of discussion. I am unable to "carry" a conversation. I am not bad at simply listening to others converse (i.e. others talk, while I listen). But, as you wrote, I find most of what others talk about boring. Further, when they do come across a topic, where I want to add something (and go a little bit deeper), by the time I am ready to say something useful, they have left that topic and began talking about something else entirely.

I particularly dislike eating with others. Oh, it's not bad if I sit there and eat (while listening to others talk). As I get "free entertainment" while I chew my food. But, I eat fast. So, once I am done eating, I just sit there watching others eat their food. For me, it's a very unsettling experience.

Soulish
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2015, 1:14 pm

downbutnotout wrote:
Soulish wrote:

What are those?

Places like 4chan

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 9:26 pm

Soulish wrote:

Isn't WrongPlanet an anonymous social network?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 9:37 pm

It functions like a social network.

But it's a forum--which, perhaps, has less "features" than a "social network" like Facebook.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 9:51 pm

I would say I'm less interested in a social life now than I've ever been, and I'm comfortable with that.

There have been other times in my life, when I was younger, that I felt acutely lonely and desperately wanted friends and a social life. Some of those times I never achieved it, other times I did achieve something approximating it -- I say approximating because most of the "friendships" didn't stick.

These days I find that I'm not interested and yet people have actually inserted themselves into my life, rather than me actively wanting new friends. It's that ironic thing of "when you stop looking, it happens." Except I'm not 100% thrilled. I need a LOT of alone time and to be honest I'm not getting enough of it.

It's just my luck that when I've actively wanted a social life, it was hard to find, and now that I want everyone to leave me alone, nobody is leaving me alone.

As for more than friends, again, I used to want a partner, but now I'm relieved to find that I give a sh!t less and less and less. I think that's a lot to do with fading hormones. It's great! :lol:

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 1:33 am

I wish it were as easy as not looking for me. My periods of not looking are just periods of solitude and personal growth before I start to get lonely, followed by a train of failures and a plummet.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 11:01 pm

I gave up on social life just right after my last in-real life best friend from school no longer goes to the same school with me (2008). After the nasty experiences during her absence, I completely gave up and went online instead.

Right now, I'm not exactly interested or uninterested. I never thought about it at all because I'm simply satisfied this way.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 7:38 am

I don't really make friends and sometimes I care, sometimes not.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 7:57 am

People do not like me.