Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Eninguaq
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2015, 6:03 am

My best friend¨s upcoming birthday is giving me a hard time... As usual, I have problems settling on the perfect gift.

I tried to set up lists from what I know she likes (cats, dogs, marine mammals) or likes to do (being outside, camping, hiking, taking pictures, painting, crafting, reading and so on) and whether to look for a tool (knives, brushes, clay, multi-fuel adapter to her outdoor cooking stove...), a game (combinatory, to be played single or with -some- others, an event (go hiking that trail we have been talking about together, qajaq classes...) or so, but find the number of options increasing as I go on so this does not really help.

Does anybody have som kind of advice on what approach to take?

I have problems finding presents in general. Seems like others have some intuition they follow -I have not yet found out how to do that. Sometimes I come over stuff I spontaneously recognise as potential gift for X or Y and I try to either note that down on a list for later or purchase it and keep it until the birthday is coming up but unfortunately, that does not happen very often . Also, I sometimes would not remember where I hid it, or it would turn out to be out of store.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 7:11 am

I hate situations like this.

You really have to KNOW someone to have a clue as to what would be "perfect" for them. The most the average person can do is learn what they like so at least the gift will be appreciated.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 7:48 am

I would recommend taking her to an event, as you said, hiking a favorite trail or taking a class together. Happy times together leave better memories than receiving a thing. Take a photo of you doing something together and send it to her also.

Eninguaq
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2015, 4:45 pm

Trail hiking shall be :D

Figured it would be the one thing I'd like most giving. We're both into hiking, and usually I'm more successfull when giving a gift I'm comfortable with myself (ie things just get a bit weird every time there's a whish list, and none of the alternatives really appeals to me.

Cesar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2015, 5:00 pm

:idea: I'd give her an "Ice Ball Maker". She could make her own ice balls even during hot summer days.

Eninguaq
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jun 2015, 8:12 am

Cesar wrote:
:idea: I'd give her an "Ice Ball Maker". She could make her own ice balls even during hot summer days.

^
THAT...would make a Perfect gift for me :)