Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

cedabisnet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2016, 4:51 am

I run a project called BIS-net [Behavior Intervention Support Network] which has a number of outcomes around individuals with Behavior Support needs and their families. We use the term behavior support to cover anyone who may need support with behavior that is at risk of socially isolating them from access to the community they live in. This could include anyone with Mental Health issues, conditions such as ADHD and people on the Autism spectrum.
For us, it isn't always about addressing the individuals behavior and trying to change it, but about making society and community more supportive and accepting.

We are going out to as many community settings and services as we can to deliver training on how to accomplish this and also why they should! I want this training to be driven by what the individuals themselves say as much as possible. I would really appreciate if anyone could take the time to answer the following questions, or give any comments they have that are related. So, from the point of view of someone on the Autism spectrum:

* What makes it difficult to access community?
* What would make it easier?
* If you could give service staff some advice for being more supportive what would it be?

Many thanks for your time.
Sam Harris