Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

joshskuxx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Dec 2015, 8:09 am

what are some other ways to "break the ice"/use small talk in a conversation besides asking the person how they are and what the weather is like?
how do you keep a conversation going without asking awkward questions (or without asking to many questions)

when is it ok to have deeper conversations with the person? ( its awkward when all you can say to some one is how are you)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 9:44 am

Howdy! This is my specialty. You do small talk in stages. Example: Me at work when I started my new job back in Jan. I didn't know anyone. Started working with my preceptor and what did we have in common? Work. So we talked about the nursing schools we each went to then where we have worked, then as I got to know him after a few days we then talked about our families and stuff like that - topics outside of work. Um, then as I've worked there I'm around certain people and begin to trust them and that's when we talk about personal stuff like our interests, hobbies, families, etc. Its kinda like small talk is easy for me to do but hard to explain. Always try to find what their interests are. That's the key or talk about something you have in common.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 9:50 am

I don't like small talk really.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Small-Talk

Some of it is a bit confusing but I hope this helps.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 9:58 am

Small talk can be productive at times. It could lead to you making friends who share your special interest, but only trust a person through small talk.

It also leads to more success in escaping from one's sorrows.

The weather happens to be one of my special interests.