Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 10:15 pm

I realized that for all of the social drives that I don't have, one thing I have over other people is that since I never have really connected with any specific group of people, I'm not exclusive to a group of people; in other words I'll talk to anyone that will talk to me. Most NT's are very outgoing to certain people and very cold to others. I can carry on a conversation with pretty much anyone.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 11:10 pm

I do that too. Some people even become cold to me because they see that I'm not cold to the people they're cold to. I think at my school I know much more about who's friends with who than anyone else because I am willing to talk to any of them. I'll talk to anyone who's willing to talk to me, and I'm the one who's considered "cold and unfriendly." :?

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2007, 11:45 pm

I am just like what both of you describe. In fact, I've yet to meet anyone else in person who is also that way. I can talk to the homeless guy in the same fashion as the president of a company and to me they're just people, each with their own story. I seem to always find something with each I can connect with, even though like most Aspies can never seem to get past the surface to deeper friendships... Everyone's acquaintance and no one's friend.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2007, 11:46 pm

but (I have to add) I ENJOY being able to talk to anyone. :)

Spartan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2007, 1:32 am

I've also been this way my entire life, to the annoyance of a lot of NTs. Now I'm cold to some NTs because I know they're that type of person, and it feels great. I wouldn't be doing that, but I've tried so hard to be friendly to everyone and when they are cold I just return the favor. Funny enough, some of them started to approach me after I became colder. Needless to say, I still ignore them when I pass them by on the street. Absolutely ridiculous, I tell ya.

I'm still friendly to any and all decent people I meet, but whenever you come across these people who have social filters you need to give them a taste of their own medicine.

-Carl Sagan

Alvy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Apr 2007, 9:23 am

lol, I thought I was the only person like this. I'll speak to anyone if they're friendly towards me, I think it stinks when people won't speak to other people because they think there's something wrong with them or whatever. Who are they to judge others to be beneath them? I have a situation at the moment where I know a bloke a lot of the other people who I know don't seem to want around, but I don't see what their problem is with him and so they've started to act ignorantly towards me when I'm talking to him. It irritates me because I go out of my way to be nice to people but I never seem to get to have real friends. My theory is that people want people who don't need them, and because I'll talk to anyone if they're okay with me, they always have me to fall back on so I end up being treated poorly and they concentrate their social efforts on the egotistical ones they have to actually win over. It apparently makes people feel better about themselves to have scumbags acknowledge them!

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2007, 8:34 pm

I can talk ok with anyone who is either "above" me or "below" me in social rank, like by age or job description or whatever. But I have a hard time talking with people I perceive as peers unless they approach me like I'm a squirell. By the way, I don't think "above" and "below" are the exact words I was looking for but I couldn't think of any other words.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 11:39 pm

I talk to no one because I just get ignored.

xeltifon
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Apr 2007, 11:23 pm

Not to ambiguate but yes I'm this way too and find it has a good and bad side.

Bad side: I open myself up to scam artists and other forms of human scum.

Good side: When I *do* talk to people, they're almost always *way* more interesting than your standard-issue, cookie cutter pathetic excuses for human beings that seem to make up 90% of the human race. :wink: Meaning I get to talk to the people that "normal" people shy away from for (mostly) dumb reasons, like they've got a brain injury, or are from Pakistan, or wear the same clothes more than one day in a row, or what have you.

*They're* the ones with the *interesting* stories.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 11:48 pm

maldoror wrote:
I can carry on a conversation with pretty much anyone.

That's an admirable ability, IMO.

The people I find easiest to talk to IRL are schizophrenics (I know this from experience)

InZane
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2009, 4:29 am

xeltifon wrote:
Good side: When I *do* talk to people, they're from Pakistan, or wear the same clothes more than one day in a row, or what have you.

*They're* the ones with the *interesting* stories.

Hey! I'm from Pakistan and I've worn the same clothes for more than one day in a row. Do I qualify as being *interesting*? :P

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 11:36 pm

Good luck trying to get a response from someone who made a post in a thread over two years ago.