Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Dkaz
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2016, 3:54 am

If there is something about you that you know your friend won't like (such as belonging to a different religion), don't tell him, unless asked.

Learned by personal experience.

Mobers
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2016, 2:52 pm

Then when they find out later, they will feel you have deceived them. This is only a way to postpone losing friends, not a way to avoid it.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 2:56 pm

If someone will fall out over this kind of thing, then maybe they're not a good friend to have.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 4:09 pm

I had a friend that was a young earth creationist while I'm an atheist. Never had any problems with him, unless the conversation managed to steer towards evolution in which case an argument was always bound to happen. I just did my best to avoid talking to him about religion, though his general anti-science attitude did make it difficult to completely avoid starting an argument. Only reason I don't talk to him anymore is the same reason I don't talk to any of my other friends - I simply drifted apart from him over the years.

People should be direct with each other. If you have to rely on hiding the truth or even downright lying about yourself then your friendship was doomed before it began and you need to move on.

Misanthrophy_guide203
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2016, 7:29 pm

I concur with above, if they can't accept you for who you are be it your religion or something else then they are not a friend. A good to way to keep friends would be..hmm actually Im not sure, I don't have any >_< but I do think its better to have no friends than be a doormat or not important to the other person.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm

Agreed. Any relationship based in deception (whether by omission or otherwise) is doomed to fail and not worth having. They aren't then friends with you, but the character you are playing in front of them. Which I guess is fine if you are ok with that.

Dkaz
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2016, 7:54 pm

Mobers wrote:
Then when they find out later, they will feel you have deceived them. This is only a way to postpone losing friends, not a way to avoid it.

What I mean is that you should avoid arguments. Such as going to a church with a friend and saying I AM ATHEIST, EVOLUTION ROCKS!

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm

Dkaz wrote:
Mobers wrote:

What I mean is that you should avoid arguments. Such as going to a church with a friend and saying I AM ATHEIST, EVOLUTION ROCKS!

I understand what you mean, Dkaz.