Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nightingale79
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2016, 9:34 pm

Hey folks new here on wrongplanet, this is just a wee hello and message to see if there are any scots on the site.

coco :)

Shaw
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2016, 5:50 am

Yup :)
...and welcome to WP!

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 7:48 am

Aye laddie, set phasers to malkie.

I'm on the west coast, near where the loonies store the nukes.

Nightingale79
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm

Hey guys,

Cheers for getting back and the wee welcome to WP. Shaw

and

Aye indeed QuillAlba "we can't change the laws of physics"

I'm a west coaster too, but in glasgow. I'd prefer up where my folks are in Helensburgh instead of 40 miles down the road, We're franked, sure there is never a day in Scotland with ought a nothwesterly breeze/hurricane : :roll:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 6:11 pm

Only through ancestry. But, what a pedigree!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Nightingale79
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2016, 6:30 pm

Yes indeed Utah,

WE have managed to bag a few talented people and inventions for a tiny wee country.

But like anywhere we have those that don't get the right support and fall through the cracks and that are being failed by our social welfare system. It is the age old story.

Have you ever visited Costa del Ecosse :wink:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 6:44 pm

Sadly, no. A drive past Eton is as close as I got to Scotland. But, I would love to visit Glasgow and Paisley, and the fam's former barony in Ayr, Blair Estate (which is now a Chinese-owned bed-and-breakfast at about a zillion pounds a night).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2016, 10:05 am

I prefer the term British. :)

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 10:07 am

If it's not Scottish...it's crap.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 10:14 am

QuillAlba wrote:

I'm half Scottish, so does that mean I'm only half crap? :)

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 11:25 am

TheAP wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:

I'm half Scottish, so does that mean I'm only half crap? :)

I'm unsure.

Best check with Mike Myers as I think it's his line from SNL or something.

Nightingale79
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2016, 7:53 am

I don't consider myself British, I consider myself Scottish with Irish and Scottish ancestry. But I think its up to the person to decide what works for them. The Uk thing bugs me, especially when you go to fill out forms online, you have to scour the country section sometimes for UK, GB, British Isles blah blah, blah. Whereas if it was just Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England there would be no fuss.

Bring on the next referendum, I'd say there are a lot of people who wish they had not voted no. I think it would be a resounding yes.

YES

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2016, 9:15 am

Nightingale79 wrote:
I don't consider myself British, I consider myself Scottish with Irish and Scottish ancestry. But I think its up to the person to decide what works for them. The Uk thing bugs me, especially when you go to fill out forms online, you have to scour the country section sometimes for UK, GB, British Isles blah blah, blah. Whereas if it was just Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England there would be no fuss.

That's exactly why I'm British. Being Scottish, that's easy, but being British, that's harder, that takes effort, and it's because it's so difficult that I am a proud Citizen of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. We Scottish Brit's love a challenge, we thrive on it.

That, and I have family in England, Ireland and Wales.

Nightingale79 wrote:
Bring on the next referendum, I'd say there are a lot of people who wish they had not voted no. I think it would be a resounding yes.

I know a lot of people who were bullied into voting "Yes Please" who would never do it again, instead either voting "No Thanks" or "Sorry I Abstain".

I was in the latter group myself, we were the true minority. :wink:

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

Nightingale79
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2016, 10:20 am

I understand there are many complex issues and I do believe many people were bullied on both sides of the campaign.

I have just finished an assignment for sociology pertaining to media and politics. I discussed the effects of the referendum a year on and on what people felt about the part the media played and how it effected their vote. From my research and data collection. I was astounded at how many people felt tricked by the media and their propaganda based scare mongering. I interviewed over 100 people and in the under 34 age group a staggering 44% would change their vote to yes had they the chance to. i could not believe these results. There was an overwhelming amount of people that felt they had been lied to yet again by their Government and a Government owned media giant (BBC),

Nightingale79
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2016, 10:26 am

I also must add that these stats were obtained from people at university and so can in no way reflect the general population. But it is very interesting nonetheless. :wink:

JoeyFlash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2016, 4:18 pm

I think I have some Scottish blood, as well as blood from other nations in the UK, But I'm mostly Mexican/German/Irish. I have never visited Scotland, nor do I know much about it. I live in California, United States.

Who's there?

Matthew.

Matthew who?

Math you couldn't do unless you had an IQ of 184.