Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:16 am

I had my one year evaluation for my customer service job at the Walmart call center yesterday, and my boss gave me a critique that I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around. One of her only complaints was that I have a tendency to say "I can't help you." Actually, I always say, "I can't help you, that's not my department, let me transfer you to the right line," but apparently the words "I can't help" are too negative and we're not allowed to say them... Why, though? If I can't help, why can't I tell them that? It's not like I'm hanging up on them right afterwards, I still get them to who actually can help them. So yeah, what's wrong with being truthful to the customer and telling them that I'm not the guy they need to talk to?

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:21 am

Don't say anything. Just immediately transfer them over to the right place. That's what I've noticed they do a lot when I call to ask for something.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:27 am

"Can't help." Think about the emotions those words might invoke: frustration, annoyance, even hopelessness if the customer has been trying to get help for a while and/or gotten the runaround.

If you know exactly who can help, you can say, "Sally can help you with that. Please hold while I transfer you." The focus shifts a bit, away from you and toward helpful Sally. It's not a major shift, but sometimes, small shifts in focus calm the customer a little.

Does that make sense?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:36 am

It's best if you say something like, "I know somebody who knows more about this issue than me. I will transfer you to him/her now."

Like other posters stated, "I can't help you" is too 'final." It makes it seem like the situation is hopeless.

It's more constructive to refer the issue to someone else if you, definitely, know little about it.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 9:43 am

Ishi, to be honest that's terrible advice. Walmart takes customer calls very seriously. I got told off for saying "I can't help," but I'd get fired for transferring them without telling them.

Data, I do tell them where I'm transferring them. There are tons of people in every department though, and I'm no in the same building so I don't know any of them by name. Besides that, calls come in via switchboard so it's pretty much luck of the draw who picks up. I do tell them what's going on, though. Like, "I have an issue with my online order," "Okay, I can't help with that, you need to speak to our reps at walmart.com. Would you like me to transfer you?"

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 10:01 am

Even if you don't know the name, you can still say something positive, like "The reps at walmart.com help with online orders. Shall I transfer you?" From that, the customer understands who can help and doesn't focus on who can't.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 10:45 am

I agree with everyone that there is an automatic psychological impact made by a phrase like "I can't help you," particularly when it's the first thing you say.

Your opening words need to be positive ones such as suggested, things like "I will transfer you to the department that can help you right away with that," and "Let me show you to the person/department who can help you with that right away."

In customer service you have to lead with the positive so that the customer immediately feels like their request, problem or question is going to be solved or answered even if the first responder isn't going to be the one to do it. It's all about psychological molly-coddling, but that's what helps a business seem like a place the customer wants to go back to, and all these little words and phrases add up in the impression given.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 10:55 am

"Sure, I can help. Just a moment while I transfer you to the proper department."
And say that with a smile in your voice.

Remember, you are helping the person by transferring the call to someone who knows the answer.