How do you tell your friends you have aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

schuplanet
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2018, 4:16 am

Luckily, i have never had to much Trouble making friends. I wish i could say why, but one of the main parts probalby is that i studied on copied the rules of Smalltalk etc. from a very early age. Thus, must "shallow" conversations aren't a Problem for me, since they always stick to a (highly complicated and yet higly repetitious) sort of script. I can talk a lot about the shallow subjects "on" this script, like Weather and How are you? And how's University?. And when People like that, they make me their friend. Note, I wrote make me theirs, not they i make them mine. Oh, i like them, but if they wouldn't do the first steps towards friendship, i would have no Idea what to do.
Now, to the actual Topic: i can't really talk about stuff that isn't in any of the social scripts i have been able memorise. One of the Things not in there is, of Course, how to tell People you have aspergers.
I'm not ashamed of it, i actually quite like it. It's just that i have no idea how to tell People without seeming to be of Topic or without the fear of being treated differently after that. I don't see my asperger's as an illness, however, the rest of the world apparently does.

So, how do you tell people about your autism? Do you just casualy mention it? Do you tell them in a Little speech or something. I'm Aware that everyone tackels this one differently, so i'm asking each of you, how you have done it( or how you would do it)?

:D

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 May 2018, 4:36 am

To my real friends:
"You know, my therapist believes I have Asperger's and High Sensitivity."

To the "friends" in broader sense:
"Social situations are hard for me sometimes"
"I hate loud noises! They hurt me."
"Sorry, too much going on around, I'm overwhelmed"
"I can focus on one thing at a time"
"I need some time alone"
etc.

People seem to freak out when given some sophisticated psychiatric names but they are usually okay with symptoms described as just parts of your personality.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Shoobrit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2018, 6:20 am

^^^ agreed with the above reply
I almost never tell anyone I have autism. Only when it’s appropriate to explain my symptoms do I say anything. Like if we’re in a very loud environment that I need to leave I’ll ask if we could go somewhere quieter.