Losing touch with old friends/acquaintances

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2018, 9:53 pm

I realize making friends is hard for many of us, and I definitely include myself in that category, but does anyone else have a real problem losing touch with the friends they do make? Maybe not friends (I've rarely, if ever, had close friends) so much but friendly acquaintances. I've been feeling very depressed lately due to...

1. My Aspergers support group disbanding

2. Many of my favorite people from work no longer being there

3. Losing touch with on-line friends

Sure, I still have some of these people on Facebook, but I'm just not on it much, and neither are they. Anyway, what's the point of making friends if you will just lose touch with them?

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 4:41 pm

It sucks when that happens. Keeping in touch with acquaintances and friends is hard especially when you are always the one initiating contact. Another thing that sucks is when you try to reconnect with an old friend but you are practicing different religions than you did when you first met. The other person seems to not to be on board with your religious choice because it's not the same as their religion. The friendship is never the same after that.
Another sucky thing is when you have a cool group of friends and the group falls apart after a couple of friends die or move away.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 5:01 pm

I have tried to crack that nut for years. All my ex-partners, ex-friends, ex-coworkers, ex-neighbors and ex-classmates are now miniature echo chambers for whatever I describe to them. Cheap conversation, that is.

I have no telephone, and rely on the Internet as my only means of communication. My "bulk" messages to family and "friends" yields little, but some insults disguised as humor. "Gee, thanks."

Knowing that celebrities have depression often because even their coworkers avoid them due to the Hollywood social order, I have reached out to a few of those with whom I worked over the years. Nothing so far. I amn't watching the clock.

The idea that online existence spells doom in terms of friends who actually breathe, seems valid to me.

Even as a Wrong Planeteer, I can count four or five online "friends," total. Six if EzraS seems nice to me.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 1:16 pm

Nope

Left volunteering without much problem, known the people for a few months but never got close enough to become friends, i left with a goodbye card and that was that, pass by the shop a few times but they don't seem to recognise me but i guess the feelings mutual.

Never had the quality of friends in school, and work experience in between has always been too short to make any.

Glad i have a job now that i have a few people I can count on and work as part of an effective team.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 9:16 pm

sometimes, friendships are worth the cost benefit analysis, even if they end.

sometimes, they are not.

case by case basis.

that's like saying, what's the use of cleaning the house, doing the laundry, if they will just get dirty again?

everyone is going to drop dead sooner or later, so what is the use of doing anything?

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 10:13 am

Scorpius14 wrote:
Nope

Left volunteering without much problem, known the people for a few months but never got close enough to become friends, i left with a goodbye card and that was that, pass by the shop a few times but they don't seem to recognise me but i guess the feelings mutual.

Never had the quality of friends in school, and work experience in between has always been too short to make any.

Glad i have a job now that i have a few people I can count on and work as part of an effective team.

A lot of people in my town like to pretend that they don't know me especially old classmates and people from my old church. Sometimes it seems like they cringe when they see me and they try to avoid me. I have also had coworkers that refused to acknowledge my existence in public.