Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2018, 10:18 pm

Somedays I can barely talk. Its exhausting.

I have a speech impediment and I also have processing difficulties. It takes me a while to respond to people. I go to speech therapy and I have improved. But its still sometimes obvious that I am a bit different.

I was 4-5 when I spoke my 1st word. I used to not really be able to formulate sentences. Now I can somewhat have a conversation but its still difficult.

I also have weird body language

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Oct 2018, 2:18 am

How about carrying a communication enhancing device and using it only when too exhausted for verbal communication?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 3:52 pm

Would they cover it under your parent’s insurance?

Heat844
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2018, 10:42 pm

Mine too. I wonder why I never had speech therapy. They had it at my elementary school, but whoever decided who needed speech therapy decided I didn't.

I know what I want to say, but have a hard time getting it out. Its like my brain is working faster than my mouth. I used to have a habit of stomping my foot to get started talking. I think I still do that sometimes. I stutter too.

My sister could have a 6 hour conversation about a cigarette lighter. It boggles my mind.

HenryJonesJr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2018, 4:46 pm

I just made a post on a very similar topic, before I saw this one.

Heat844 wrote:
I know what I want to say, but have a hard time getting it out. Its like my brain is working faster than my mouth.

This describes me very well.

I think there must be some way to practice this. Maybe when you are alone (by "you" I also mean "me") you can work on just speaking ideas out loud as they come to mind. I bet after doing this for a while the skill for finding words will improve. But you would probably have to somehow reflect on how well you are choosing the words, so that the practice becomes deliberate and not just mindless repetition.