How to avoid accidentally offending people (wrong slang)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2019, 1:35 pm

To avoid using a word by accident that you think is “cool” only to learn it either doesn’t fit your group and shouldn’t be used by you, or offends everyone in general and shouldn’t be used by anyone:

“If you heard it through the screen, saying it is not what you mean. If your face-to-face peers said it, then you won’t regret it.”

This is only true if you’re hanging with the right crowd. I created this quote because the Internet can be a confusing place.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 9:43 pm

Anyone can be "offended" by anything

Euphemisms and insults change with time and location

"ret*d" used to be medical terminology

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 8:43 pm

These days one has to walk on eggshells around others anymore because what you say is "Politically incorrect."

For example, some of the self-advocates these days get all bent out of shape if one uses people-first language instead of identity-first language. Excuse me? Don't you think it's my choice what I choose to identify as?

As for people getting offended about this or that? Those are people who have their own personal issues which has nothing to do with you.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 12:58 am

Hang out with people who have high self esteem, then it won't happen, unless they are trying to bully you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2019, 2:59 pm

Hate to tell you this but you can't stop offending people. Someone will always get offended. You can say you don't like Star Wars and someone will still be offended.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.