Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 2:47 pm

Bluntness isn't always always good. There's "blunt", and there's hurtful and tactless.

My ex-girlfriend always prided herself and bragged about how blunt she is and how she doesn't mince words. But more often than not, her "bluntness" came off as hurtful and tactless. Me explaining that to her fell on deaf ears. Of course, whenever I told her something unflattering, she'd yell about how mean and hurtful I am.

It was only a matter of time before I broke up with her, and kicked her out of my life.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 11:56 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Do you have issues with people getting upset with what you say when you didn't mean to say anything hurtful, but it turns out what you said was actually hurtful.

I used to have more of an issue with this, but I've learned through trial and error to be more tactful.

I find that due to my experience I cut some of my friends a but more slack with their blunt communication because I know they don't mean to be unkind, they're just saying what the actually think.

Thing is. A very nice friend pointed out to me today that I don't actually have to take it if what someone says is hurtful.

Mind blown.

To be fair I don't always just accept the bluntness

I have a friend who got upset with me this week because she criticised me rather than comforted me, but she really genuinely believed she was showing camaraderie. I pointed out that what she said can be taken as a criticism and she got upset saying that she was only trying to help.

Other friends said supportive, truthful things to me that hurt less, so it's possible to be truthful and kind.

I can imagine that it's frustrating to always have people misunderstand the intent off what you say.

But words matter. You can hurt people needlessly.

My musings on blunt communication...

Think am gonna have to go with one. Feels familiar.

where ever you go ,there you are

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2019, 8:54 am

hurtloam wrote:
Do you have issues with people getting upset with what you say when you didn't mean to say anything hurtful, but it turns out what you said was actually hurtful.

I used to have more of an issue with this, but I've learned through trial and error to be more tactful.

I find that due to my experience I cut some of my friends a but more slack with their blunt communication because I know they don't mean to be unkind, they're just saying what the actually think.

Thing is. A very nice friend pointed out to me today that I don't actually have to take it if what someone says is hurtful.

Mind blown.

To be fair I don't always just accept the bluntness

I have a friend who got upset with me this week because she criticised me rather than comforted me, but she really genuinely believed she was showing camaraderie. I pointed out that what she said can be taken as a criticism and she got upset saying that she was only trying to help.

Other friends said supportive, truthful things to me that hurt less, so it's possible to be truthful and kind.

I can imagine that it's frustrating to always have people misunderstand the intent off what you say.

But words matter. You can hurt people needlessly.

My musings on blunt communication...

I agree with you. We do not have to be blunt all the time. We can learn how to be kinder. Our Aspie need to be brutally honest is what causes us to be social rejected. What you became aware of is brilliant. We are the ones who need to change to have friends, and we can't insist that everyone else change to accommodate us.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 11:31 am

Aspie1 wrote:
My ex-girlfriend always prided herself and bragged about how blunt she is and how she doesn't mince words. But more often than not, her "bluntness" came off as hurtful and tactless. Me explaining that to her fell on deaf ears. Of course, whenever I told her something unflattering, she'd yell about how mean and hurtful I am.

I think it might be helpful, in a group or in a relationship, to develop some agreed-upon standards as to what constitutes constructive criticism vs. what constitutes being mean and hurtful. To that end, tutorials on assertiveness can come in handy.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 12:19 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
I think it might be helpful, in a group or in a relationship, to develop some agreed-upon standards as to what constitutes constructive criticism vs. what constitutes being mean and hurtful. To that end, tutorials on assertiveness can come in handy.

Believe me: I tried. She said: "I tell you that because I care about you, and you're too thin-skinned and sensitive!" Soon enough, my patience ran out, and I threw her out of my life. Having grown up in a toxic family, I was very wise to "caring" being used as a cheap facade for power trips and emotional abuse.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 12:36 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
...To that end, tutorials on assertiveness can come in handy.

...She said: "you're too... sensitive!"...

@Aspie1, I'm still living that with my family (not as bad as it was, but still awful for me). @Mona, I've started practicing assertiveness!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 7:23 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Believe me: I tried. She said: "I tell you that because I care about you, and you're too thin-skinned and sensitive!" Soon enough, my patience ran out, and I threw her out of my life. Having grown up in a toxic family, I was very wise to "caring" being used as a cheap facade for power trips and emotional abuse.

How do you spell GASLIGHTING . Am so glad eomeone else has seen this and verbalized it.
Have repeated watched idiots say something absolutely , false , expecting you to believe it . And proceeding , like you already have . Religious pretense ,
Even public interaction officers and other even higher ranking people .
Squaking its like this . And their words do not come close . To a thinking person , as being factual. Then they will double down on this same thing..

And if the opportunity arises . Will try to impune your opinion to others.
Even using police powers to enforce their mistaken beliefs .
If 50 people say its so , its so.. whether they are actually familiar with the person or situation. Inspite of you being intimate friends with same person for over ten years . And can see reality of actions of a person or situation.

But how can 50 peeps heresay be wrong. .

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2019, 3:38 am

There is nothing wrong with being blunt and honest.
I have Aspergers and I speak the truth.
It is better to be honest and hurt others feelings than lie.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 9:30 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
There is nothing wrong with being blunt and honest.
I have Aspergers and I speak the truth.
It is better to be honest and hurt others feelings than lie.

But if you can be honest in a way that won't hurt others, you should.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 10:23 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:

Wants agreed upon standards ! Regardless of people making mistakes during trial phases . A smart idea that should be addressed , am feeling. :)