Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 1:40 pm

Back in 2005, when I woke up after one of those nights when I had only a couple of hours of sleep, I heard a music with two voices talking to each other:

Voice 1: Do you want a parmesan
Voice 2: I am not ... yawn ... talking to you
Voice 1: But I am saying it to you
Voice 2: I am sorry, its not принято for me to be talking to you

And then this was repeating over and over with different things in place of wanting a parmesan, although the parmesan came up often and is kind of stuck in my memory.

The word принято, pronounced as "priniato" is a russian word to mean a common habbit among many people, like if most people do certain thing, it becomes sort of preferable to do it simply because most people do it, thats what that word stands for.

Anyway, shortly after I had that dream, I decided to perform an experiment on Aspie Hangout Delphi message board, and I said to a random person who wanted to introduce themselves "I am not talking to you" to see their reaction. Then after that I explained to them that it was a dream. But then I said to another newby "I am not talking to you" -- and then mods explained to them on my behalf that it was about a dream -- but they also said that they put me on mod status, which they did, and I am still on mod status on that board.

In any case, I didn't carry that experiment fully even with the first person. I mean, that experiment has two stages:

Stage 1: I say I am not talking to you and they act surprised

Stage 2: I respond to their surprise by saying that I just don't have a habbit of talking to you -- and then they would be even more surprised: if it is just lack of habbit, why would I go out of my way to tell them I am not talking to them? So I wanted to see exactly how they would respond to this one.

Well, I did stage 1, but I didn't do stage 2. Instead of telling them I don't have a habbit of talking to them, I just explained my dream. Well, I should have explained my dream a while AFTER saying "I don't have a habbit of talking to you". So I don't think I ever carried out that second stage yet.

But anyway, here is what I am getting at. Maybe some of you can carry it out on some of your friends. When someone emails you or calls you, respond "I am not talking to you" and then when they act surprised say "I just don't have a habbit of talking to you" and see what their reaction would be.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 10:06 pm

And the point/purpose of this experiment is ... what exactly?

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 1:59 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
And the point/purpose of this experiment is ... what exactly?

To see how will the other person interpret it. I mean, when something is a "habbit", you don't even consciously acknowledge it, much less go out of your way to say it. But here your explanation as to why you aren't talking to that person is precisely that its your habbit. Well, if its your habbit, why would you be rude and say you are not talking to them? I mean, I don't have a habbit of talking to some random stranger, but that doesn't mean I would go out of the way to tell them I am not talking to them. So thats why this particular behavior is puzzling. So the purpose of the experiment is to see how the other person would interpret such a puzzling behavior of yours.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 2:40 pm

What was your name on the "Aspie Hangout"?

I was "Showman616". . I think that's who I was. Might be thinking of some other site. Its been awhile.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 2:53 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What was your name on the "Aspie Hangout"?

I was "Showman616". . I think that's who I was. Might be thinking of some other site. Its been awhile.

I was Sarahsboy. Sarah was my very first girlfriend, that I had back in 2003. It is still my user name on delphi forums since I was too lazy to change it. And no it has nothing to do with not being able to get over Sarah. Yes, there are some girls I couldn't get over (to the point that I still talk about them to every single girl I date) -- but Sarah isn't one of them. So yup its just laziness.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 3:41 pm

Don't remember a "Sarahsboy".

I think I was "radioactor". Something with radio in it.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 8:50 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Don't remember a "Sarahsboy".

I think I was "radioactor". Something with radio in it.

I thought you said you were Showman616. Or were you using multiple accounts?