Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 10:29 am

Over the years, there has been so many times where I would get contact info from someone, guy or girl, only for me to be the only one to ever text them first, and if/when I stop texting them, we don’t talk at all anymore. I graduated HS in May, and even though I have a lot of friends from school on Snapchat and Facebook, no one ever reaches out to me, before or since graduation. There was this one guy that I met at an event a couple weeks ago and we exchanged contact information, but the few times we’ve exchanged texts, it’s always me texting him first.

My mom and I were talking about this the other day, and she said that so many people just aren’t good at initiating things, and that I have a unique unshyness to reach out to people.

Right now, I only have one guy friend who I occasionally hang out with, and no females that I know for sure are interested in me. Does anyone think that if I reached out to people, I would be able to expand my social circle?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 12:56 pm

Your mom is correct. Many people are much better at responding than initiating. It's fairly common. If you have an ability to approach people, an "unshyness" as you put it, don't be afraid to use it, and don't let others discourage you from being that way.

Think of it this way. You just got out of highschool, so I'm sure you can remember moments where a teacher would ask a question, and nobody wants to answer, or asked "who wants to go first?" to give a presentation, and nobody wanted to. Friendships are kinda the same way. People are nervous to go first a lot of the time. If you're able to make that first step, that first contact, you're already in a better position to create interactions with people. To this day, most of the friends I've made, were because I politely approached them and said "Hey, I'm D, what'cha doin', it looks cool, would you mind telling me about it?" My best friend of 25 years and I became friends because I overheard him say the word "sword" in conversation, at which point I waited for the opportunity to ask him a sword question, as I too like swords. We've been friends since that day.

Also keep in mind that in highschool people tend to see each other one way or another without any additional effort. After graduation is when people start actually needing to work to maintain relationships, instead of just counting on running into each other at school. It's the same reason it's often easier to make friends with co-workers, but those friendships often change if that individual ceases to work at that establishment. That person is no longer a part of the daily routine unless you make them so. Keep reaching out to people. They may not all reciprocate, but it tends to be worth it for the ones that do.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 2:37 pm

If you reach out more often, all things equal, your social circle expands

Not all things are equal

A larger social circle is not always a good thing

Sometimes it is better to not interact with someone, than interact with them