Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2018, 10:09 am

I know I seem quite good at communicating on here. I can write understandable sentences and I seem to know how to be polite.

Out in the real world though, I am horrible at it. I blush every time I talk. Sometimes people dont understand what I am even saying. I speak slowly and I have cards that have what I need to say on them. For example if I need to use the washroom, I can raise my hand and point to the card. It works quite well. The cards have pictures and words on them.

I get really frustrated when people dont understand what Im talking about. This can cause meltdowns. Sometimes my teachers also dont know how to interact with me. Its frustrating. Its part of the reason I didnt get along with my biology teacher. She thought I was choosing not to speak to her. I had to read outloud from the text book in her class. That gives me anxiety.

My sentences also sometimes seem really choppy and not smooth according to people. I think the way I type is smooth but I cant be sure.

snowball5
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jun 2018, 3:23 am

Do you speak better when you are around familiar people? Like your family?

I stutter my whole life. It's the nastiest conditions I could imagine, because it gets worse precisely in the situations when you can't afford it. It feeds anxiety and anxiety makes it worse. It's like a bully that hits you when you are weakest. The only thing that got better for me over time was reduction of the anxiety. I stopped caring what people think about my stuttering, which works in many situations, except when I'm talking to someone I actually do care about. But still, it's very frustrating that I have to say everything at least twice, if I can say it at all. And the lingual gymnastics I do in my head in order to find the words I can say it unbelievable.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2018, 7:20 am

snowball5 wrote:
Do you speak better when you are around familiar people? Like your family?

I stutter my whole life. It's the nastiest conditions I could imagine, because it gets worse precisely in the situations when you can't afford it. It feeds anxiety and anxiety makes it worse. It's like a bully that hits you when you are weakest. The only thing that got better for me over time was reduction of the anxiety. I stopped caring what people think about my stuttering, which works in many situations, except when I'm talking to someone I actually do care about. But still, it's very frustrating that I have to say everything at least twice, if I can say it at all. And the lingual gymnastics I do in my head in order to find the words I can say it unbelievable.

Unfortunately it doesnt get easier around familiar people. I have a speech impediment and it apparently makes me sound Special Needs. Kids in my class are not the nicest people. There is nothing wrong with being special needs.

Chelsie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2018, 9:58 pm

Ilikemusic wrote:
I know I seem quite good at communicating on here. I can write understandable sentences and I seem to know how to be polite.

Out in the real world though, I am horrible at it. I blush every time I talk. Sometimes people dont understand what I am even saying. I speak slowly and I have cards that have what I need to say on them. For example if I need to use the washroom, I can raise my hand and point to the card. It works quite well. The cards have pictures and words on them.

I get really frustrated when people dont understand what Im talking about. This can cause meltdowns. Sometimes my teachers also dont know how to interact with me. Its frustrating. Its part of the reason I didnt get along with my biology teacher. She thought I was choosing not to speak to her. I had to read outloud from the text book in her class. That gives me anxiety.

My sentences also sometimes seem really choppy and not smooth according to people. I think the way I type is smooth but I cant be sure.

Hi, If yours is only a mild speech problem then it can simply go away but in case you would want to improve it, a speech therapy may help. Don't lose hope you're not the only one who was having a difficult time in communicating perfectly.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 10:33 pm

Those in the performing-arts e.g., theater apply improv exercises as "ice breakers of sorts" Such exercises are transferable outside of the performing-arts communities; hence improv may be helpful concerning the Autism Spectrum.

Actor Alan Alda wrote an book discussing experiences with improv in theater. Book: If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?: My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08129 ... bl_vppi_i1

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 2:41 pm

Society puts too much emphasis on "communication"

Some communication is necessary for some purposes

It is not, the more communication the better

They talk too much and too loud and there are too many of them

Precious lil "people" are not as great at communicating as they act like they are

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 4:40 pm

Seventy percent of all inter-personal communications is non-verbal. Hence, images make up alot more than words in the remaining thirty percent. TECH. (fortunately) cannot replace non-verbal experiences.

* Further details on non-verbal communication:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonverbal_communication

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 8:34 am

Communication is not always as simple and easy , at it appears

Communication is not as important as precious lil "people" act like it is. But communication has a value

The slightest things easily get misunderstood

Lil dipshits have the nerve to say "huh" and "what " , like it's the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me"

For example, I correctly told the medical doctor that, the counselor did not answer my email

The health educator told me that the counselor was too far away , geographically

:roll:

Ass holes

It's not that I am bad at communicating

Even though I am bad at communicating

But idiots are not receptive and they miss the point

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 12:36 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Communication is not always as simple and easy , at it appears

Communication is not as important as precious lil "people" act like it is. But communication has a value

The slightest things easily get misunderstood

Lil dipshits have the nerve to say "huh" and "what " , like it's the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me"

For example, I correctly told the medical doctor that, the counselor did not answer my email

The health educator told me that the counselor was too far away , geographically

:roll:

Ass holes

It's not that I am bad at communicating

Even though I am bad at communicating

But idiots are not receptive and they miss the point

Agrees ! ...... and it sincerely causes me to think less of the person that appears to be misrepresenting reality of any given issue . . (gasLighting)AND given common knowedge base . End up calling the persons supervisor , and letting them know upfront may not be good with social aspects of , communications , as having with that particular person , but have excellent grasp and use , of the language.

My defict shows up as weird reversal , of speaking positions , my use of the english language, i grew up with , am using unfamiliar not commonly used words that have a more precise meaning in any given sentence . And as i explain , (even over a phone, the moment it happens is almost palpable.)

Am able to catch myself , in the convo . Actually stop and ask them if they know the definitions of a given word, that would be common to me. But not to potentially less educated people in vocabulary . (wHICH OF COURSE , SOUNDS CONDESENDING). And then i explain my upbringing, to try to NOT have them thinking am being condesending. And hopefully move the convo forward.
LOL . The secretary of the cheif of police , had been googling my words as we spoke . Which after my explaination gave us both a little chuckle . Not realizing as i was checking in with her on this . Repeated the word in a slightly different
Context . Which , by her voice had just been reading the definition of the word in its other context . Replied with "very good" .cheerfully .And managed to get the convo moving forward again. And that was todays 4 th phone call.

I apologise for this labourious explaination of convo of a hfa with a NT ..... loolz.. am so sorry ,think this has caused me unforseen problems in the past.
Am not better or smarter just learned more precise words . Uhm grade school spellingbee , 2 nd place winner ,,loolz .. omg maybe thats what happened ?
If i try to change, though , i talk slow and stuttery . Ugh.

where ever you go ,there you are