Situations where your AS symptoms are more pronounced.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

jfberge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 4:34 pm

Pugly wrote:
Large groups of boisterous people in a restaurant.

It depends, but this is pretty common for me too. Just last weekend I was invited to a concert, and left a bit early because the lights and noise were making me disoriented. I got the impression that my leaving upset the person who invited me, but what was I supposed to do?

Pugly wrote:
Yelling of any sort

This is a huge issue for me as well. I instantly dislike anyone who yells at me, which didn't help my past marriages. Yelling doesn't engage me in a dialog, it simply alienates me from the person. Though I know, rationally, that people get upset and need to vent, I still feel like they must not love me if they lose their temper (or they're just as*holes, depending on the relationship).

As you've said, I also don't yell at others. I'll yell at my computer, a frustrating circumstance, or just when it's really loud, but almost never at people. Unfortunately, people seem to equate yelling = passion = love, so when I don't yell, they assume I have no feelings for them.

Woman
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2007, 5:35 pm

The phone thing and loud talking/yelling definitely get to me.

Even when one person is talking to me while the TV is on is highly irritating.

When I'm in the middle of writing/working on a paper for school and someone in my family suddenly needs something - I know I need to stop my own thoughts to assist them, and I do; however, it's quite frustrating when you're on a role doing a paper. I know when I get back to that paper, my thoughts will be difficult to retrieve again.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jul 2007, 8:42 pm

Well, I just noticed a situation where my AS became more pronounced. I had to see a new doctor. I was stimming by rocking, and I was very jumpy. When he came in, he wanted to shake hands. Why do they always do this? If left up to me, I never have the faintest inclination to touch a person's hand when meeting them. I told him that I have AS, and that I would prefer not to shake hands. This was hard for me to do, but I thought since I'm new, it's best to start off the way I mean to go. He was okay with it, but I noticed him noticing my rocking. I couldn't help it. Also, I noticed that my speaking voice was more flat and expressionless than usual. I so wanted to just get out of there.