Person you want to talk to is talking to someone else

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JediFrogman
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2021, 5:13 pm

What is the right thing to do in this situation?

I'm a guy, and let's say there's a girl I want to talk to, but she's currently engrossed in conversation with another person. What's the right way to handle this? Go away and come back later? Walk up and cut in?

I don't think it can be any worse than what I have been doing, which is to stand back and wait my turn. I've been told it comes off as creepy, like I'm hovering or something. All I wanted to do is to be courteous and not interrupt.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 5:27 pm

I know.
It's tricky. If you wait too long it becomes weird, and if you interupt it becomes weird.
I have no good answer.

/Mats

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 9:01 pm

If you’re just wanting to be friends with her, I don’t see a problem with it. We can have as many opposite-sex friends as we want.

(Since this is in the Social Skills and Making Friends folder, I’m assuming this is the case)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

enz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 9:19 pm

Find an easier person to talk to and wait till there’s an opening

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 4:36 pm

I used to wait to talk to them, too, but within the past few years I've realized that's super rude and makes people feel pressured, so I'll usually go do something else and once I notice the person is done talking I'll go talk to them.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 6:14 pm

enz wrote:
Find an easier person to talk to and wait till there’s an opening

Yeah. This is what i do.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)