Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2022, 10:35 pm

Not sure if this is a good forum for this question, but I was wondering if anyone has ideas for ways I could volunteer in a socially distanced/remote way?

I used to do volunteer work frequently, but got out of it most of it during the pandemic and then, in the last year, I was diagnosed with a connective tissue condition that is sort of unpredictable and can effect my mobility when it flares up or I injury myself due to it. Some days I'm ok; some days are pretty rough.
So, I'm concerned about making commitments where others would be depending upon me and/or where I would have to be physically active, then having to back out at the last minute if I wind up having a bad day health-wise.

Someone had suggested training to be a counselor on a suicide prevention text or phone hotline, which could be done from home. But, I'm curious if anyone has other ideas, too. It seems like during the pandemic, more Zoom or remote-based options might have become available, but I'm drawing a blank. Thanks.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 4:53 pm

I was going to suggest the same. Or a warm line, for something less intense.

What about something like the Boys and Girls Club? There must be some kid/mentor groups doing Zoom, where you could play games or something.

Lebanon County used to have something called Concierge, but it looks like it's gone now. It was like a friend for disabled people who had trouble getting out and meeting others. When unable to meet in person, they would do phone calls and I'm sure they do Zoom now. Maybe there is something else like that out there.

I don't known if those fit your interests, but maybe that would work for you.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 6:35 pm

why not choose the charities or organizations you would like to support and inquire if they need volunteers to phone people for fund raising, event reminders, membership drives, awareness campaigns, perhaps instead of using the phone you can stuff envelopes, create flyers, posters, informational handouts.

Some people make items to donate, flip furniture or create cards or custom items for sale by a charity.

You might be able to moderate a facebook page or be an admin or moderator on a web page like this one.

You could be a collection point for donations for a resale shop (clean and price items to prepare them for sale in a charity store for example)

You could collect blankets for an animal shelter/ pet toys..
I think there are loads of possibilities depending on the sort of organization you would like to help.
Best wishes, let us know what happens!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 11:18 am

Have you considered volunteering to help build the autistic community, to help improve life for yourself and other autistic people?

If any of the various possible kinds of groups I mentioned here appeal to you, let me know and we can brainstorm possible ways that you can build or help build such a group (online only, for now at least).

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 1:32 pm

What about a befriending type charity. I've heard of people who are sort of care work volunteers who take lonely people out for a coffee. There was Seinfeld episode where the gang befriended some retired people through a service, not that they were any good at it, but it was based on real charity work.

People maybe can't get out due to covid, but are there any pen friend services? You could write each other letters or emails or phonecalls, which might suit your circumstances.

Here's a UK service. You might have something similar locally.

https://thecareline.org.uk/

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 1:47 pm

Great suggestions so far.

I would add senior citizens to the list. Many seniors are in care homes and very lonely, especially if they have no family to visit them, or if they can't have visitors because of Covid restrictions. Sometimes families chooses not to visit even if they're allowed. There are programs where you can be a friend to a senior via online communication, talking about their life experiences and memories. You might be able to arrange visits in person if you're comfortable with that, but it's not necessary.

In the past I've helped my local care home by buying Christmas gifts (socks and slippers, picture frames, chocolates, requested items) for lonely seniors. They keep a wish list for each person, and anyone can contribute as an act of goodwill. Even when it isn't Christmas your local care homes might appreciate a volunteer who can knit or bake or do any number of thoughtful tasks including donations of lightly-used products from home. I remember donating unused shampoo and a nice bath robe that had never been worn. Sometimes they want someone to design flyers or transcribe the person telling a family memory, so that it's in print form to be passed down.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 4:32 pm

Thank-you for the ideas, everyone. I appreciate it.