Page 8 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 4:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
I was watching a documentary on the gaelic residents of a small Scottish island on the south-west coast of Scotland (I think it was called "Islay"). The BBC reporter described the island residents as the most fiercely parochial in all of Britain, a local gaelic dialect was the main lingua franca and English most definitely a 2nd language.

I thought of them because anyone not related by blood and unable to speak the dialect were quite rudely referred to as "incomers". The reporter asked the village head lady (who had a very long gaelic name) why outsiders/newcomers were called "incomers", She said it's because 1000 years ago the Vikings invaded their little island and killed most of the inhabitants. Those that survived were forever scarred by the experience and were wary of outsiders and clung fiercely to their Gaelic heritage.

Because of their isolation and lack of intermarriage over 1000 years a UK University wanted to do a DNA analysis of the population (around several thousand islanders), Instead of gaelic, the entire population was almost 100% Scandanavian origin on their male side. It turned out the local story was correct, except it seems instead of surviving and repopulating the island, the Viking men actually settled there and displaced the men and took the all Scottish women (a rather typical Viking story).

When the residents discovered they were carrying a 1000 year old hatred for their own ancestors it would be an understatement to say they were embarrassed. Obviously what happened is the children of the viking "incomers" threw out their father's language and adopted gaelic and over time completely forget their own history.

^That sounds about right :lol: A lot of northern Scots are Scandinavian and not even other Scots can understand them. But FFS. Holding onto a 1000 year old grudge is a bit sad. Although having said that, many English are still anti-French because they invaded us in 1066! And a lot of European countries have very long grudges against each other. Europe is a volcano of grudges, most countries have been at each other's throats for centuries.

I've also read about DNA studies that show due to the isolation of the British Isles, a significant percentage of Brits are extremely inbred. This is because so many people are getting their DNA tested now. People haven't moved far from where they were born, married their neighbours and stayed there. That explains A LOT about the state of British people in the 21st century.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 4:32 am

Pepe wrote:
"The forum that shall not be named." :mrgreen:

I recently had an incident where I was overly open and friendly, in a professional situation.
At the end of the interaction, it became "obvious" I was trying to "crack onto" him. 8O
"Water off a duck's bad." :mrgreen:

NTs be crazy... 8)

I think I know what you're saying. I think it has happened to me too: being very friendly and being mistaken for chatting someone up.

We can't win, can we. We're either too cold and formal, or we're chatting them up!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 5:36 am

KitLily wrote:
People haven't moved far from where they were born, married their neighbours and stayed there. That explains A LOT about the state of British people in the 21st century.

Explains brexit :lol:

To be honest you get that in the Australian countryside (outback or bush take your pick). Small towns tend to be difficult to break, I worked for a brief stint in a mining town called Leinster in rural western Australia. I had a beer with a local who was unmarried. I surmised there weren't many women in the town so there was slim pickings. He said the local boys call "dibs" on girls in primary school and thats that. By highschool if you haven't found somebody then you have two choices for female company, Leave OR spend your money in the local brothel. That type of culture creates a hard environment for outsiders who are welcome so long as you are seen spending money on the locals.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 6:26 am

KitLily wrote:
Pepe wrote:
"The forum that shall not be named." :mrgreen:

I recently had an incident where I was overly open and friendly, in a professional situation.
At the end of the interaction, it became "obvious" I was trying to "crack onto" him. 8O
"Water off a duck's bad." :mrgreen:

NTs be crazy... 8)

I think I know what you're saying. I think it has happened to me too: being very friendly and being mistaken for chatting someone up.

We can't win, can we. We're either too cold and formal, or we're chatting them up!

Well, I knew it wasn't going to end well.
I should have kept my joking to myself.
But this was a new environment, and I think it was THAT that threw me off.

For me, being creative with jokes is like stimming.
I wish some ppl on this website would get that.
Not being allowed to be autistic on an autistic website.
How ironic. :roll:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 7:43 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
People haven't moved far from where they were born, married their neighbours and stayed there. That explains A LOT about the state of British people in the 21st century.

Yep. I am fed up with saying it, I've said it a million times: stupid, inbred Brits voted for Brexit because they believed the lies they were told about how the world depends on Britain and will give us whatever we want :roll:

cyberdad wrote:
To be honest you get that in the Australian countryside (outback or bush take your pick). Small towns tend to be difficult to break, I worked for a brief stint in a mining town called Leinster in rural western Australia. I had a beer with a local who was unmarried. I surmised there weren't many women in the town so there was slim pickings. He said the local boys call "dibs" on girls in primary school and thats that. By highschool if you haven't found somebody then you have two choices for female company, Leave OR spend your money in the local brothel. That type of culture creates a hard environment for outsiders who are welcome so long as you are seen spending money on the locals.

^That sounds like the village I live in. Everyone is interrelated to each other. I wouldn't have moved here if I'd known that. Can't wait to leave.

Either that or the village inhabitants are super posh and rich, and so they don't care what the 'plebs' do, they have their own social life.

I fall between categories- I'm not a 'local' and I'm not 'super posh and rich', so I'm in no-man's land, purgatory :roll:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 7:47 am

kitlily wrote:

Pepe wrote:
Well, I knew it wasn't going to end well.
I should have kept my joking to myself.
But this was a new environment, and I think it was THAT that threw me off.

Yes but sometimes don't you get annoyed with people in real life? I often play devil's advocate because I'm fed up with being sensible and normal. I think 'god, wake up, stop being boring and conventional' and I want to shake boring people up. Life is so boring otherwise.

It's fun if I meet someone who feels the same and is willing to joke around with no expectations. But most people are just so conventional and do the same thing day after day :roll:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 9:04 am

KitLily wrote:
I think 'god, wake up, stop being boring and conventional' and I want to shake boring people up. Life is so boring otherwise.

It's fun if I meet someone who feels the same and is willing to joke around with no expectations. But most people are just so conventional and do the same thing day after day :roll:

I've noticed this. But also this: my partner is really good at making people who seem conventional and boring loosen up. It's like many people need permission to be themselves, or at least sillier and less guarded. My partner seems to do this by 'going first'. She's silly so other people join in. They wouldn't if she hadn't established that it's okay to be silly.

I wish I could do this, but I think I probably fall into the conventional and boring category until I get comfortable which takes ages.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 10:25 am

DuckHairback wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I think 'god, wake up, stop being boring and conventional' and I want to shake boring people up. Life is so boring otherwise.

I've noticed this. But also this: my partner is really good at making people who seem conventional and boring loosen up. It's like many people need permission to be themselves, or at least sillier and less guarded. My partner seems to do this by 'going first'. She's silly so other people join in. They wouldn't if she hadn't established that it's okay to be silly.

I wish I could do this, but I think I probably fall into the conventional and boring category until I get comfortable which takes ages.

I can do that sometimes, but it generally has to be if something funny happens e.g. something nearby falls over and makes us laugh. It has to be an exterior event that I see the funny side of and then everyone laughs.

e.g. once I was walking by a lake and a bird flew very low over my head and I ducked, I said something funny and nearby people laughed.

I think it's easier to be silly as a woman though because we aren't seen as threatening and suspicious.

I think there should be more spontaneous singing and dancing in the world, that would lighten everyone up.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 4:48 pm

DuckHairback wrote:

One of the first steps to self-actualisation is having the wisdom to know one's own limitations You may be surprised how naturally you behave around NTs when you stop forcing yourself and you feel less anxious.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2023, 6:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

One of the first steps to self-actualisation is having the wisdom to know one's own limitations You may be surprised how naturally you behave around NTs when you stop forcing yourself and you feel less anxious.

I've been thinking for a while now that the people who seem to do really well socially are the ones whose appearance and personality seem to be in sync. I don't know if that's what you mean?

It's a bit like actors. Some actors seem to slot into roles like Micheal Cera - he looks like a nervous, nerdy type so it's easy to accept him in a role that has those characteristics. If Bruce Willis tried to do those roles the audience wouldn't buy it.

So I think there's something of that in real life too - if you don't fit your role then people just don't accept you - something is off, suspect, not to be trusted.

I often feel that people don't believe what I'm saying to them. I think they think I'm lying or being disingenuous. That's my paranoia though, I have no idea in reality.

I think I've got a pretty good handle on my limitations. I know I'm not centre-of-attention, life of the party guy and it'd come of as very false if I tried to be. I'm not someone you can talk to about football or cars or the stuff that's usually common ground for men - or at least a fairly safe go to topic for men who don't each other well to discuss.

So I think I do know what I'm not. But I've never been sure what I am. To others, I mean. I know what I am to me.

What concerns me is that if I didn't force myself to interact with people, I just wouldn't interact at all. I'd just observe.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2023, 7:07 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yep. I am fed up with saying it, I've said it a million times: stupid, inbred Brits voted for Brexit because they believed the lies they were told about how the world depends on Britain and will give us whatever we want :roll:

cyberdad wrote:

^That sounds like the village I live in. Everyone is interrelated to each other. I wouldn't have moved here if I'd known that. Can't wait to leave.

Either that or the village inhabitants are super posh and rich, and so they don't care what the 'plebs' do, they have their own social life.

I fall between categories- I'm not a 'local' and I'm not 'super posh and rich', so I'm in no-man's land, purgatory :roll:

We must live in the same village.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2023, 7:13 am

Trueno wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I think there must be lots of places like this around the world. The big cities full of acceptance, modern opinions, tolerance and benevolence are different planets to villages.

I'm going to try living in a town next year, see what that's like!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2023, 7:02 am

KitLily wrote:
Trueno wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I think there must be lots of places like this around the world. The big cities full of acceptance, modern opinions, tolerance and benevolence are different planets to villages.

I'm going to try living in a town next year, see what that's like!

I live in a city and a lot of people here are very judgemental or unfriendly. We don't know our neighbours really, except for one (although he keeps himself to himself, we at least know his name and have a chat every now and then). It is advisable not to walk out alone at night, whether you're a man or a woman. People often stare or glare at you, and most people are rude.

When I used to visit my mother-in-law with my boyfriend she lived in a quaint little village, and everyone there were friendly even if you gave off the wrong "body language" (whatever that is) they still greeted you in the street so I became more confident and made eye contact with people much better. Even teenagers were more respectful. The neighbours would invite you in for tea and you could even get away with going out and leaving your door unlocked. Me and my boyfriend walked home from the cinema late one night and we didn't feel we had to watch out for pickpocketers or people with knives or dodgy drug-dealers. It was like a whole different world where I felt much more accepted by strangers.

Down here in Essex I feel strangers hate me because I look shy and stupid, and I've been belittled because of it in the past. It's the reason I suffer with agoraphobia now.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2023, 10:45 am

It's amazing how different various people's experiences are, isn't it? I'm starting to believe it is actually different places that have certain atmospheres or attitudes, and it doesn't matter who we are. We just get affected by the general atmosphere of a place.

It's well known that the south and east of Britain is unfriendly though. The more north and west you go, the more friendly people tend to be.

I lived in London for a few years though, and people were so nice and accepting. Everyone was different in some way so they expected you to not understand and were happy to explain things to you. There were a lot of different races, religions, ways of living, you name it, there was it. We lived in a small block of flats and made friends with all our neighbours.

Then we moved to this small village and it was like a door slammed. I remember the October we moved here, it was torrential rain for weeks. Everything was dark, quiet and lonely, I didn't know anyone. I remember thinking What. Have. I. Done? I'd left my wonderful job in a lovely school to start a job in a horrible school with snooty students. The weather was awful. I didn't know anyone.

And basically I did never get to know anyone in this village! Everyone is in a clique, interrelated, no welcome to strangers. So are my in laws who live locally. A big NO ENTRY sign everywhere. Sometimes people are friendly, sometimes they aren't.

The environment here is obviously more pleasant and safer...but it's been so lonely.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2023, 1:31 pm

I'm quite playful irl and people seem to like that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2023, 4:36 pm

KitLily wrote:
And basically I did never get to know anyone in this village! Everyone is in a clique, interrelated, no welcome to strangers. So are my in laws who live locally. A big NO ENTRY sign everywhere. Sometimes people are friendly, sometimes they aren't.
The environment here is obviously more pleasant and safer...but it's been so lonely.

I've lived in the inner city and found people were always more friendlier > than the burbs
I think the cosmopolitan environs naturally attract more gregarious people. I recall being able to move with people who knew people who knew people....so on...and was able to move through different cliques, parties etc.

Melbourne has a thriving arts community who are extremely utopian in accepting anyone walking off the street. I do miss those days but then I was younger and had less commitments.