Why do we buy stuff to impress other people ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2024, 12:09 pm

I sometimes feel bad because I'm not one of those guys that wanted to get rich and become an entrepreneur, buy a nice flashy car, get loads of nice suits, a nice flashy watch and so on. It does even make me think have I ''wasted one life'' because I wasn't one of those guys. I like wearing a suit as sometimes it makes me feel like I'm ''important'' and probably will make others who see think I look important and respectable but I don't wear a suit for a job, as I have my own work uniform, my car is just a silver ford fiesta which I have had for a few years now and I bought a nice Lacoste watch not because I wanted to impress someone, but because I just liked the crocodile inside it.

I sometimes think do those guys always get the women running towards them because of all that stuff that the men have and is the reason why I've not had much luck with relationships lately because I haven't got smart-looking fast car or whatever. I mean does it really matter if a guy has those all that stuff or if he doesn't and does it give you a more likely chance of having sex with someone ?

I don't know also if its possible that those people are maybe more insecure than I am.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2024, 6:19 pm

Why do we buy stuff to impress other people?

Because other people are impressed with the stuff we buy.

Next question.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2024, 6:29 pm

Fnord wrote:

Next question.

See, you were able to respond with three sentences. I spent twenty minutes writing, rewriting, addressing "fast cars" and the road side signs that supposedly limit that speed. I also got fixated on the watch with a crocodile in it. My brain is tired, and I honestly did not know what that meant. Then I stumbled on the notion that it is a design on the watch face. So I looked it up.
chris1989, is this your watch? (sounds like a magic trick)

When I saw your (Fnord) response I just threw my hands up (just think if that was a literal statement), canceled my latest tome, and typed this. (what if my hands hit the ceiling fan? LOL)

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2024, 6:49 pm

pcgoblin wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Next question.

See, you were able to respond with three sentences. I spent twenty minutes writing, rewriting, addressing "fast cars" and the road side signs that supposedly limit that speed. I also got fixated on the watch with a crocodile in it. My brain is tired, and I honestly did not know what that meant. Then I stumbled on the notion that it is a design on the watch face. So I looked it up.
chris1989, is this your watch? (sounds like a magic trick)

When I saw your (Fnord) response I just threw my hands up (just think if that was a literal statement), canceled my latest tome, and typed this. (what if my hands hit the ceiling fan? LOL)

No, mine is black with a green crocodile on the 3 o'clock side.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2024, 8:16 pm

Fnord wrote:

Next question.

There's been a bit of a trend that I've been noticing lately of people asking tautalogical questions. People buy things to impress people so that those people will be impressed. People worry about status symbols so that people will think that they've got status.

Of course, people that spend money on status symbols usually don't have much money and people that spend money trying to impress people are rarely impressive.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2024, 12:31 am

It's an attempt to impress people but it's unlikely to be successful. It might inspire envy, or dislike, and who wants that?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2024, 9:54 am

I'm pretty sure you know why.

It's hard to believe that those people are more insecure than you when every one of your posts discusses your own insecurities. You need to focus on yourself and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2024, 1:07 pm

Getting love and respect from people requires time, effort, listening to the other person and genuinely caring.

Some people want to believe they can circumvent all of that just by spending money.

Punkrockfan
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2024, 11:41 am

Fnord wrote:

Next question.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I feel like Pickup Trucks are a good example. At least Chevys and Fords.