Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

muffrudge
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2008, 9:19 pm

well, i was talking to this girl on my course at uni before the lecture. i asked how this assignemt which was due was going for her and i said i wasn't getting on that well with mine, but that i had just found out i'd qualify for extra time with assigments because of this diagnosis of asperger's, and how in the opinion of a psychiatrist i had seen subsequently, i probably have schizotypal disorder, which i explained was not actually schizophrenia, but a long term condition which resembled it. she went on to ask if i'd experienced paranoia, in particular if i ever thought people were talking about me. i told her i had experienced it to a low degree, but then it was debatable whether it was paranoia or based on experience - i think that's all i said but i mean the experience i had at school, when i usually was the subject of gossip and ridicule.

i wasn't really thinking about what i was saying, it just kind of slipped out, and the anxiety and discomfort that accompanies moments when i realise i might have weirded someone out burgeoned with every second of the conversation. she's always been very friendly to me, and has shown signs of wanting to get to know me better such as giving me her number before the end of a semester, so perhaps the fact that she evidently quite likes me makes alienation less likely. she said something about not thinking i needed to worry, and there were also a few other friends in the row behind me who may have overheard.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 9:56 pm

well, it sounds like she was trying to see if you're a threat or not. Some folks don't understand that there's different kinds of 'crazy'...and see them all as dangerous. I don't think it has done any lasting damage, but you might want to not mention the word 'schizophrenia', because some people sort of 'shut down' after they hear that word. You're talking, but it's going in one of their ears, and out the other.

It's hard knowing what to say, and when to say it. Even after half a century, I still wind up having a regular course of shoe leather from time to time...;) Just try to act 'normal' for a few days, and they'll eventually simmer down. Works for me...

muffrudge
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2008, 10:09 pm

thanks. yeah, even if statements do have undesirable impact on others' perception of us, i think they do adapt once they get over the initial shock and there are no other indications that you're deranged. and even if i have done irreparable damage to whatever was developing, if she's at all judgemental or conservative then she's probably not the model friend for me anyway. i'm more worried about what people i see more of will think, but the same applies there too i guess.

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 10:12 pm

Somethings are best left unsaid, especially to people you don't know that well or can trust.

When you start talking about being AS and having Schizo tendencies, people are going to think you have a lot of mental baggage, and that can turn people off or away.

Think of it this way, if there is a girl you like, and first time you start really getting to know each other, she tells you she's got three kids, takes care of her loser brother, her dad is in jail, and her mom his a ex hooker.

Chances are, you're going to freak, and see that this woman got way too many issues and drama.

Well, people are the same way when comes to talking about mental conditions.

You got to get to know person better until they are comfortable with you before telling them that kind of personal information.

muffrudge
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2008, 10:21 pm

i see what you're saying and i tend to think the same of people who talk about their problems and generally come off as needy or miserable, but my condition doesn't affect me like that. but the term 'schizophrenia' or anything similar sounding is probably pretty misleading and so it would have been much better not to have said that.

Heron
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Feb 2008, 10:35 pm

You can't hide who the real you is forever, don't I know it. You felt relaxed enough with her to let it out, it's OK. It's probably not wise to to tell everyone, but trust your instincts, don't blame yourself for your mistakes. There are a lot of people willing to accept you for who you are.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:00 pm

Well, in any case you've already said it so no use fretting over it now. If she still seems ok with you, then be happy that you've found a good friend who is willing to accept you as you are. If not, then you will learned through trial and error what not to do in the future and this will help you interact at least a little better.

Either way, you win.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 11:27 pm

I've done the same thing and regretted it a few times. You're not alone -- just take it as a lesson learned. People don't know what it is and I have yet to see any situation where it is wise to mention it.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 3:53 pm

In my experience, it's almost always a bad idea to talk to people about unconventional topics or disclose exceptional, vulnerable info about you. I used to disclose too much when someone liked me, hungry as I've always been for sympathy and understanding. Nowadays I know better.

muffrudge
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2008, 6:13 pm

what kind of repucussions did you usually experience when you told new friends things you now feel you shouldn't have?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 2:19 am

Usually people would remain exactly as friendly to me on the surface, but they wouldn't get closer.