Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 6:27 pm

It's definitely not just "responsible person who can take care of themselves", with adulthood, shame and hubris decline and pride and well-being increase (thanks, Psych Today).

For the past 200 years, age 16 has been considered a big milestone, and has been thought of as "young adulthood".
At 14, a page became a squire, till he was 21, when he became a knight.
Cultural and legal expectations aside, basic adult thinking capabilities are reached about 15 years.

EDIT:I am speaking of emotional maturity level here.

I am asking is an adult the fully developed (early 20's) or is it late teens (16+)?

Last edited by muslimmetalhead on 03 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KeitaroKun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2012, 6:34 pm

Adult, n.: A complacent, mindless, hypocritical, vain human life form that has lost all sense of self.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 6:39 pm

When you're legally held liable for your actions.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 8:42 pm

You struggle for the first 21 years of your life to become "adult" only to learn that all "adult" means is "obscene"!

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:37 pm

Something about alcohol, cigarettes, clubbing, billiards, and responsibility/liability one's actions.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:50 pm

I've always disliked these milestones, 16, 18, 21. Do people transform instantly when they turn one of these ages? :roll: Obviously when you turn 21 you are fully legalized for anything now, so "legally" you are considered an adult. How someone might define being an adult mentally is subjective. To me, maturity comes with wisdom, higher thought, and being selfless. Making decisions in a rational and considerate way, opposed to just how it can benefit you. Taking responsibility for yourself, even when things get tough. Presenting yourself in a sensible manner. Treating all people equally in the way you wish to be treated. Things of that nature.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm

Kinme wrote:
Something about alcohol, cigarettes, clubbing, billiards, and responsibility/liability one's actions.

I see the joke, but technically that would mean 1000 years ago, we were all children due to the lack of these vices.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 7:38 pm

I see an an adult as everything that I'm not.....independent, mature , responsible, secure in themselves, abilities developed and potential reached at least to a certain extent, makes a contribution to society. Emotionally/socially as well as in terms of responsibility and independence/level I'm at about the level of a 13 year old....which puts me about 14 years behind my chronological age.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2012, 1:32 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
It's definitely not just "responsible person who can take care of themselves", with adulthood, shame and hubris decline and pride and well-being increase (thanks, Psych Today).

For the past 200 years, age 16 has been considered a big milestone, and has been thought of as "young adulthood".
At 14, a page became a squire, till he was 21, when he became a knight.
Cultural and legal expectations aside, basic adult thinking capabilities are reached about 15 years.

EDIT:I am speaking of emotional maturity level here.

I am asking is an a :? dult the fully developed (early 20's) or is it late teens (16+)?

Somebody that has learned the society rules and moves easily inside them.
Somebody that has a solid self-confidence

from that perspective
Aspie # adult :(

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 2:04 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
I see an an adult as everything that I'm not.....independent, mature , responsible, secure in themselves, abilities developed and potential reached at least to a certain extent, makes a contribution to society. Emotionally/socially as well as in terms of responsibility and independence/level I'm at about the level of a 13 year old....which puts me about 14 years behind my chronological age.

Nah...you're like 30, so maybe late teens?

Many people my age and a little older have these same worries?