Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cyndi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2007, 12:45 am

I overheard my mom talking to someone about my autism and I repeated part of it with her(to be annoying and silly) when she said the line about "she's 8 years old emotionally and will be for her entire life". So while I have a higher than average intellect, I experience emotions like an 8 year old child would. I tend to come across as very childlike in person and more than once it's led someone to ask my mom if I'm mentally ret*d.

I'm not very verbal though I can talk, I just hate talking because it feels "slow". I'm much more articulate in writing/singing.

So I'm wondering--what's everyone else's social-emotional age?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 1:00 am

Lets see...I have been called an 8 year old..but I think that was an exaggeration. I am really not sure....I am 32...and I am pretty sure it is below that of the average 19 year old based on the experience of having to be around them...I think I would place myself around 13 or 14...but I AM 32 and have been around the block....so it is sorta difficult to estimate an exact age. Kids relate to me very well and often don't even think of me as an adult..which I find rather flattering...when i am hanging out with Flakey's 8 and 6 year old nieces, I act alot like them....speak their language...etc...but I don't act like that all the time.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 2:09 am

Chronically, I am 47. Emotionally, more like my late 20s or early 30s. I like to experience new and different areas such as medical assisting even though I am middle aged. In appearance, I look considerably younger than my age.

I still have an interest in outdoor critters. My newest obsession is Sea Monkeys in a saltwater aquarium. So if that makes me emotionally younger than 47... They say you're as young as you feel :wink:

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2007, 2:29 am

I'm 28, but have been screwed with the opposite condition of looking 3-10 years older than I am since I was 10.

When I studied in Germany at age 19, my host mother said I simultaniously spoke like a Chinese-wise-man but acted like a baby. I wish more had changed since then...

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 9:01 am

My emotional and chronological age are pretty much the same--28.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 10:45 am

Cyndi wrote:
"she's 8 years old emotionally and will be for her entire life"

That's arrested development, and different from developmentally delayed.

Socio-emotionally I think I'm on-par with most 30-somethings. I haven't stopped developing, I'm just running late. I'm a late bloomer.

- Emerson

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 11:26 am

how should I know?

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 11:34 am

I find this misleading, because not everyone acts their age.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2007, 12:43 pm

Hmmm...chronologically I'm 37. Physically I'm 120 or at least I have days where I feel that old. Maturity I'm in my 20's... emotionally I think I'm up to my teens now. No one ever questions that I'm an adult but I don't experience things in the same way. I was emotionally stalled for a long arse time and it wasn't until I was nearly 30 that I started growing emotionally even though I knew it was a problem. So yea, figure 13 or 14. :)

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2007, 12:53 pm

It all varies. Emotionless, I'm my age. Excited can make me act like a kid if I don't watch it. Fear can make me do strange things, but I often feel like a very little kid when it gets overwelming and looks helpless. Seriousness, my age or older perhaps. Anger is pretty ageless to me. Sadness too. Overall, I think I act my age, with a few younger kid feeling slip ups. I can't help it! Sometimes I feel little again! Anyone else have that? I think its all innocence. Oh well. -Power Girl

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 12:59 pm

Cyndi wrote:
I overheard my mom talking to someone about my autism and I repeated part of it with her(to be annoying and silly) when she said the line about "she's 8 years old emotionally and will be for her entire life". So while I have a higher than average intellect, I experience emotions like an 8 year old child would. I tend to come across as very childlike in person and more than once it's led someone to ask my mom if I'm mentally ret*d.

I'm not very verbal though I can talk, I just hate talking because it feels "slow". I'm much more articulate in writing/singing.

So I'm wondering--what's everyone else's social-emotional age?

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2008, 12:35 pm

This is an interesting thread... socially I'm probably anywhere from 11 to 16. Standard teenage behavior on my part, though probably closer to 12 or 13 than anything else. Emotionally I'm all over the place, sometimes mature and sometimes not. Maybe early 20s? :?

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 1:33 pm

Test your emotional intelligence (EQ)
You scored 35% correct!
Remember you responses need to have been as honest as possible. If you feel that your score

does not reflect you, please retake the test and answer each question in the way that best

represents the way you typically feel.

Your score indicates that you have a low EQ.
People that typically score in this range have trouble recognising and understanding their

feelings. They are not always able to express their feelings in an appropriate manner. They

often have doubts and concerns about who they are and what they want out of life. They have

little confidence in themselves and their abilities. In most circumstances, they find it

difficult to show love, empathy and compassion for other people. In general, they are not

comfortable with intimacy.

People with low EQs also have trouble communicating with other people. They struggle with

getting in tune with themselves and those around them. They often say the wrong thing at

precisely the wrong moment. They have trouble showing their anger or dealing with anger

directed at them. They are either not able to stand up for themselves when hurt or upset, or

they fly completely off the handle when confronting others. They find it very hard to admit

when they are wrong. When they do make mistakes they are often unable to apologise to those

they hurt.

People with a low EQ generally have low levels of self-worth. They do not like challenges.

They shun commitment. They are afraid of change. They have trouble staying motivated and

focused in the face of setbacks. They are not able to set achievable goals for themselves,

and often give up trying in the process. They are pessimistic about themselves and their

future.

However, one great thing about emotional intelligence is that it's fluid! A person with a

low EQ can increase their EQ at any point of their life!

People with a low EQ should start by learning how to identify their emotions and take

responsibility for them. There are many resources to enable them to do this. They can read

books about EQ and social skills, find out about anger management courses and communication

skills courses, join a support group or see a counsellor. They can keep a diary of their

emotions so that they can ask their friends to help them recognise the things about

themselves that need correcting. If they do these things, there is no doubt that they can

increase their emotional intelligence and live a healthy, happy life.

sounds about right... (but for the anger; I still need to learn to be angry)

http://quiz.ivillage.co.uk/cgi-bin/uk_w ... eqtest.cgi

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 3:36 am

Im 19 and emotionally and socially Im pretty immature, I'd say maybe around 13, 14.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 12:07 pm

I'm unsure... but 2 things of relatively recent times spring to mind.

When I was with my ex, which is like many months ago, she once said I'm "Like a big kid".
And part of my music in the community project was participating in a playgroup thing. I was very childlike and quite good at it. It's like - adults and toddlers - you know... the whole playgroup esc kinda thing. Me and a friend called Reece had to participate.

ps1r3n
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2008, 9:53 am

I have no idea how to even measure this but I'm often mistaken for someone much younger than I am. I'm 36, I look about 25 (I'm told) and I don't know how old I act but I'm often referred to as a 'big kid'. I guess it's because I'm not doing what a 36 year old 'should' be doing: I'm not not married or living with anyone, I don't have kids, I don't have a proper career, I still live in rented accomodation, I'm totally commitment-phobic and I'm not up to my arse in debt which seems to be the current trend with my peers.

I've never been able to relate to others my age once I got past about 25. But who decides what a 36 year old should be doing anyway? I look at others my age and see them stressing about their debts, hating their jobs, living a half-life of work, kids, home and buying new stuff for the house at weekends. I've been criticised many times by workmates for not acting or being 'my age' but really, I can't see anything attractive about it. OK so I don't fit the mould of a typical 36 year old but I'm happy with my responsibility-free life and I love the way I can still get excited about little things that other people see as trivial and a bit sad.