Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Breanne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2008, 5:36 pm

I'm in 12th grade and will graduate this year. We started work yesterday on an independent research project. Today, the teacher informed me that we would be splitting into groups. I've had prior issues with one of the girls I was supposed to be working with, and besides that I'm sensitive to some sounds and her voice is one of them, so I told him no. He explained why we needed to be in groups and I still told him no. I ended up being asked to put my files in the public drive so that they could use them.

When put into a group situation, do you refuse? If I absolutely must, I work grudgingly with a group, but I try to isolate myself from group work as much as possible.

We won't use guns
We won't use bombs
We'll use the one thing we've got more of - that's our minds
~Pulp, Mis-Shapes

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Mar 2008, 8:39 pm

When I was at school i didn't refuse group work...I just didn't participate very much. I regret it now though as I wasted a lot of valuable learning opportunities.

Wiggles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2008, 9:22 pm

I always tried to get permission to work alone, which usually worked. When group work was unavoidable, the other members typically wanted to get out of doing any work, so I was happy to do it alone so they could get credit. It was an arrangement that worked for everyone.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 10:32 pm

I will do it, but I have been known to flip out if I have a mean person in my group (meaning I'm allowed to pick a good group)

Usually since I'm a good student, I'm placed with good students who will work anyways. It's just tough with those teachers who don't understand why I can't work with a jerk without freaking out.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 10:59 pm

I'll participate in group work as long as the other members are willing to actually work and get the job done. If they are a bunch of immature people that are only there to fool around then I refuse.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 7:16 am

Yeah I don't mind group activities although I do have a few moments where I don't feel involved, but I still get on with it.

iddqd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2008, 8:31 am

Lol. I love group work. I can sit back, do nothing, and blame everyone else for not getting the work done :)

Puck_The_Trickster
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2008, 11:25 am

It all depends on the situation. If I am forced into a group with people I either refuse, or just don't do anything, and remain quiet. If I get to chose then I pick people in my class I know and am comftrable with, if they are not there I opt to work alone.

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2008, 4:23 pm

When I was in elementary/middle/high school, it depended on the situation and the kids involved as to whether or not I'd try to get out of it.

I worked alone in Bio for dissection and did very well. We simply had an odd number of kids in the class so I volunteered to work by myself (which I usually did if there was an odd number).

In ninth grade geography and English, I had several friends in each class and never really minded the group work, basically I'd be the boss of the group, push for efficiency, and then we could all sit around and hang out at the end of the period.

Eighth grade math and science were also good, I had a good lab partner and the same guy was my math partner whenever we had to work in pairs. I got to know him pretty well and we're still close to this today.

Sixth grade science started out with me working with a guy who isn't too intellectual (nice guy, just not too bright) but in mid-year we were allowed to pick new partners and I wound up with one of my best friends.

Also, when we had locker partners, I got to pick one of my buddies to be my locker partner, which was a good thing. The year we didn't pick our own there were many disputes.

In chemistry, we worked in a group of five. One of the guys in there was a good friend of mine. There was a domineering one who sometimes would quarrel with me but we usually did well. I also met another one of my friends in here, she came into the class mid-year and wound up in our group.

I wasn't so lucky in physics. Not that great of a group of kids in there.

I had good kids in Geometry and Economics and Precalculus. Did not have good groups to work with in English in tenth or eleventh grade but had a good partner to work with in twelfth.

The trend here seems to be that I will do the group work provided I have one or more friends in there or if I need some help on a certain concept, in which case I'll try to work with someone I know reasonably well. Otherwise, I do try to push for independence.

Rooming on the school trips was another story, I almost always got my own room. The one year I couldn't do that I was fortunate enough to be in with my buddies (although we lost a lot of sleep because we were up all night playing Nintendo games).

Shinobi91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2008, 8:44 pm

I've always been against co-operative work at school,unless I had someone in my team who would accept me for who I am and for my way of being, without yelling at me because I might not be doing that specific work correctly or just claiming that I'm the only one doing nothing when I try to do my best.
Since almost no one likes me in my class (yeah, my "peculiar,strange aspie behavior" doesn't help at all) , I often find myself working alone which,by the way,suits me just perfect, and nobody's there to give me a hard time complaining about "why the heck I can't do things right", or so according to my "friendly" teammates.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 8:57 pm

I found trying to work on group project very difficult, because I could never get a word in edgewise, there always seems to be a group leader with their own agenda, or schedule, they always delegate all the work and take it easy, I have walked out of several classes because of this and did the project on my own

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 9:30 pm

23 years old tragically still in college:

I have decided that for this semester I will simply ignore any assignment that's for group work.

We are still in the first weeks of the semesters and this decision is already threatening my future.

Fred2670
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2008, 12:32 am

Although it would be ideal to work alone this is not always possible. Times when I find myself pushing to succeed and being the only one who really cares, I often find myself carrying the dead weight. I am not a natural leader but if my butt is on the line I will assume the role. I will not fail and if presented with a situation where the consensus is flawed, I always have a natural tendency to splinter out. Want me to be a team player fine, but if my grade is on the line and things arent going well, I refuse to be dragged down by the incompetance of others. Step up to the plate and state your case. Normaly others will recognize and support a valid opinion when presented with it.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2008, 12:40 am

I don't outright refuse, but I do try to avoid it. The most dreaded moment is when the teacher says something like, "Ok, go into groups of three, you have one minute." Oh god, I *HATE* it when teachers do that.

Dhunter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2008, 12:47 am

I have this problem evey day. I never get in a good group and I ALWAYS do the whole project. I've started just not joining groups and doing the whole thing by myself. The only real difference I've found is that I get the grade, not just everyone else that did nothing.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 7:04 am

I never refused 2 do group work however i have always prefered 2 work on me own cos most of da tym people used 2 piss about so dis is why i have always prefered 2 work on me own.